post #1 of 64

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

63 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #2 of 64

One 4-tier wedding cake, done except for making the fondant ribbon, 1 groom's cake, done and one 3-tier to finish prepping.

One dummy delivered, one dummy finished, one dummy yet to decorate and one dummy yet to start.

(Wedding show this weekend. The delivered dummy went to a jewelry shop and one dummy 9not yet started) is for a wedding planner to use in her booth at the show. The other two dummies are for my booth. Oh and I need to do cupcake dummies also. And pack for the show. And make more samples.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 64

Happy Friday everyone.

Tonight I'm not working on anything; my birthday is August 11th and I'm trying to figure out what cake will inspire me. This is the first time I'm doing my own cake and I want it to be special. No one ever gets me a cake.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 64

Hi there!

I'm finally resting...been working on a 5 tier 50th birthday cake for a friend. She's having a big bash on Sunday so I'm pulling out the stops for her. It's a different type of stack for me tho so I'm a bit worried...from the bottom its a 10/6/8/4/6...the 8 and top 6 are real cake, the rest are dummies. I have the dummies completely done and decorated now...will do the real cakes tomorrow then, for the very first time, I'm using my brand new Cake Safe to transport the final stacked creation 150 miles to the venue. I figure if it works for this odd situation then it will truly work for any wedding cake I make! LOL! So keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

Cat

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #5 of 64

Anyone watching DC Cupcakes on TLC right now?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 64

leah_s, Yes, I am... it's very annoying. It seems like these people have NO clue what to do or how to do it.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 64

Nothing has to be done for this weekend. My husband and I took our oldest son to Georgia Southern University today. Part of me is ready to kick him out of the nest and the other part wants to hold onto him for just a little longer. icon_rolleyes.gif
I think I will play with filling cupcakes tomorrow and practice making gumpaste flowers. We always have extra kids around to sample my homework! icon_biggrin.gif

Y'all have a great weekend!

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #8 of 64

Im working on a milk chocolate cake with peanut butter cups for my son's birthday. It will be a first for me. I'm going to bake 2 pans of 10x3 inch round and stack. Im guessing these will have to be secured with dowels. From what I have read on here, anything higher than 4 inches should get secured.

catlharper Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #9 of 64

Nope, DC cupcakes doesn't come on for 2 more hours here on the West Coast...doesn't sound promising tho...

And yes, support every 4 inches!

Cat

catlharper Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Oh and I need to do cupcake dummies also. And pack for the show. And make more samples.

Ok, so cake dummies I'm use to but for some weird reason cupcake dummies make me laugh out loud! LOL!

Cat

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #11 of 64

DC Cupcakes is crazy. And they say the shop sold 25,000 cupcakes on Valentine's weekend. Damn! Watching this, IDK . . .

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #12 of 64

PS the dog just jumped in the van with the cupcakes. They got him out quickly.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #13 of 64

Just got back from picking son up from several days away. 6"tall 10" square crumbcoated earlier. Gumpaste loopy bow made earlier, hopefully is set now. Cake board covered and ready to go. Need to ice and maybe do some white on white details, then put on fondant ribbons and bow. I need to get it out of the house early tomorrow, so DH can paint!! We are concerned about the cake picking up the paint taste.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #14 of 64

no offense to pink loving folk out there.... but just what is it about the color pink and cupcake shops anyway? Seems like a bunch of people on cupcake wars seem to wear or decorate with pink in thier stores and dc cupcake's website shows a mountain of pink boxes behind them?

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #15 of 64

finished making my buttecream, decorated a dozen cupcakes for a tasting for tomorrow. Could be a promising prospect. It's an event planner presenting to her bride . Could be the start of a new relationship with this planner. Taped DC cupcakes!

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #16 of 64

beats me on the pink boxes, but one of the cupcake shops here also uses pink boxes.

And, BTW, I stopped by that shop yesterday. Got a "white" cupcake (thought it was yellow) with chocolate frosting.

Standard size, $2.75. NOT filed. Chocolate frosting was OK but simply American Decorator's frosting. Nothing special.

My cupcakes are the same price, but creme filled.

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #17 of 64

Yes, catlharper, there are foam dummy cupcakes! Great for wedding show displays. They are flat on top, though.

Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #18 of 64

WOW. yes we (DH & myself) went to a local cupcake shop here got 2 different cupcakes 2.50 each not filled both cakes were dry. One had standard american decorator's icing the other distinctly tasted like brill cream cheese.

Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #19 of 64

hey do you know what the best way is to make edible pinecones?

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #20 of 64

I've seen people make them with a rose tip, bc and a dowel.

Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #21 of 64

you leave the dowel in them?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #22 of 64

I had a diaper bag cake picked up this evening. For tomorrow I have a 4 tier with gumpaste roses, a 2 tier wedding cake, a b-day cake, and a dozen cupcakes. I have most done and will finish tomorrow morning. But on the other hand I am going to open a retail shop and have been making my list to figure everything out. Have to start looking for everything I need and getting prices. Wish me luck.

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #23 of 64

hmmm . . .no. somehow they slide off. Obviously I haven't done it. I think there's a YouTube video o it. It's sort of like making a rose on a stick.

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #24 of 64

ooo, Jenn, how exciting! When will you open?

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #25 of 64

leah_s, I forgot all about DC Cupcakes coming on tonight, so I only caught the last 5 minutes or so. They really managed to allow a dog to jump into the vehicle transporting cupcakes? Even if it was only for a second, I still don't like the idea. I have a dog myself, but she doesn't get anywhere near my cakes!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:30am
post #26 of 64

good evening-
im starting prep work for my mom's birthday cake. still recovering from shoulder surgery and this will be my first cake! im excited as ive been suffering from cake withdrawals. she doesnt know im making her cake-she told me to "just order something from the store" ewwwww.....NOT!
im trying to come with ideas that dont involve a pipping bag as im not able to do any pipping yet.
she loves cinderella-so im thinking: a pillow cake with a glass slipper on top. and if my daughter and her boyfriend can pull it off a tower to go with it.
sounds simple....but we all know there is no such thing as simple in the cake world.
happy caking to all!! icon_biggrin.gif

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #27 of 64

Aundrea, good luck with your first cake since the surgery! I hope it turns out well. I'm sure she will be surprised since she suggested you just order something. icon_smile.gif

Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #28 of 64

congrats on the store front!

catlharper Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #29 of 64

wow...storefront *green with envy here*...know anyone with an extra 50k that they need to invest??? LOL! Let us know how it goes!

And I'm intrigued by the pinecone...gonna have to run to youtube to take a look! LOL!

Cat

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #30 of 64

Just finally working on my little sis birthday cake for this Sunday. made the chocolate mousse filling - I adapted from an old Bon Appetit recipe - it's fantastic and made with Lindt 70% bittersweet! Will post once I'm done. I'm going to make tomorrow the DarnChoc Cake with choco syrup frosting tomorrow. I have fondarrific chocolate fondant to cover top 6" with pattern then a new pearl mold trim and some frosting balls and oreo cookies (she loves oreos) on 10" bottom . Anyway, will post when I'm done. I've been planning this cake for a month! I'm so excited!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%