No Supplies, But I Want To Make My Birthday Cake!

Decorating By motherofgrace Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 3:23am by jenniboo

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 10

Well I really want to make my own birthday cake for tomorrow, but I have no decorating bags lol....................... any ideas?

I am also out of parchment.

But I do have wax paper and a small silicone matt LOL

Im not getting anywhere am I LMAO!

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 10

I NEVER use parchment paper to line my baking pans. I would go broke icon_lol.gif using that to line baking pans. I do use wax paper and I only line the bottom. I've been using wax paper for over 30 years and it works just fine thumbs_up.gif so save that parchment for your cookies icon_wink.gif

I haven't had any decorating bags in my house in over 3 months. I use fondant for all of the cakes that I make for my family and friends. I hate piping ANYTHING and have to do enough of that at work so the cakes that I make "on the side" are all fondant.

Happy Birthday btw

thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #3 of 10

Im out of fondant too LOL!!!

Maybe i can use a ziplock bag???

And thanks for the wax paper tip!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #4 of 10

I buy parchment paper by the case at a restaurant supply store so it is definitely cheaper than wax paper.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

I buy parchment paper by the case at a restaurant supply store so it is definitely cheaper than wax paper.

Really icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif I get 100 square feet of wax paper for $1.00.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #6 of 10

Hmmm - I am shopping in the wrong place. Where do you find it for $1.00?

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10

yes you can use zip lock bags as piping bags. =)

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Hmmm - I am shopping in the wrong place. Where do you find it for $1.00?

I buy mine at Dollar General. I'm afraid the price will go up if they ever realize what a steal it is. icon_lol.gif I have about 10 rolls in my pantry just in case icon_wink.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #9 of 10

Gotta love Dollar General! We live in a very small town and that's about all we have...otherwise it's about 30 minutes to any real store.

OP...I have used ziploc bags to pipe before. They don't hold up as well as piping bags, but they work in a pinch. Happy Birthday! icon_biggrin.gif

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #10 of 10

"I buy mine at Dollar General. I'm afraid the price will go up if they ever realize what a steal it is. I have about 10 rolls in my pantry just in case"

thumbs_up.gif I do the same thing with the gel I use for my hair. For some reason, it's hard to come by. I was out for about 2 weeks until yesterday, and I finally came across the brand I love......so I bought 3 bottles. icon_smile.gif Obvisouly, not cake related......but I like to stock up on stuff while I can. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%