Red Velvet Doctored Box Mix

Baking By auntginn Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:07am by auntginn

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 11

Hello my fellow CC'ers. I have an order for a red velvet cake, my problem is that I am not familiar enough with the taste of rv. I have gone to many a restaurant and ordered some but really don't taste much either. (I am very good at calling out ingrediants to taste) Have read on these postings that there is supposed to be a hint of vinegar.

So then my question??? Can I just doctor up a box mix with vinegar and if so what kind would you suggest I use. ????

Need answer rather quickly as the order is for Saturday

Thank you all, hope not too long.

10 replies
stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 11

Red velvet is a light (flavored) chocolate like a German chocolate with red food coloring. I would just do a boxed RV and if you want to spruce it up, add 1 cup mayonnaise per box of mix to get a really moist cake.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 11

The Cake Mix Doctor has a recipe using a white cake mix. You can do a search on her website and find the exact recipe. I make it all the time & get rave reviews. The color is a fabulous red color. I use her recipes all the time & haven't had a problem yet.

auntginn Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you both for your quick response. I also found another post about this and a couple of people stated that the kick in rv is buttermilk. So I will be trying that instead.

Thank you both for your help

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 11

I just made one and I think I got the recipe on CC. It used buttermilk and white vinegar. The man I made the cake for ate the whole thing. I personally don't like it but it must have been good.

auntginn Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 11

That's cute. but that's how I feel too. Not crazy for rv

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 11

Being from the south I love red velvet cake. I also prefer it with the 'traditional red velvet icing'. Most people use cream cheese icing but a cooked buttercream is traditional for this cake.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Being from the south I love red velvet cake. I also prefer it with the 'traditional red velvet icing'. Most people use cream cheese icing but a cooked buttercream is traditional for this cake.

I like the Red Velvet Redux recipe here, it adds buttermilk, sour cream and white chocolate pudding to a box mix. I think it's quite tasty.

I just made a cooked flour frosting for the first time last weekend and I could NOT stop eating it just straight from the bowl. It almost tastes like a cookie dough or something to me...so good!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I like the Red Velvet Redux recipe here, it adds buttermilk, sour cream and white chocolate pudding to a box mix. I think it's quite tasty.

I just made a cooked flour frosting for the first time last weekend and I could NOT stop eating it just straight from the bowl. It almost tastes like a cookie dough or something to me...so good!!

It is good isn't it? That's the only kind of icing I like on Red Velvet. I think it compliments the cake better than cream cheese.

I also use a box mix for my red velvet and add the white chocolate pudding, sour cream etc. gotta use the buttermilk next time..now why didn't I think of that? icon_rolleyes.gif

auntginn Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #10 of 11

Wow!! With all these added ingredients maybe I'll keep trying and see how well they come out.

By the way, I added the buttermilk and vinegar and it tastes really good. Also I've been adding flour to my bc for years, old trick my father taught me way back when.

auntginn Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:07am
post #11 of 11

Wanted to let you all know I made the rv cake, with a mix and doctored it with 1/2 cup of buttercream, 2tablespoons of white distilled vinegar and a dollop of sour cream.

Has that chocolate taste with a kick and my customers are raving over it.

Oh I have used, cc filling, mocha filling and raspberry filling. Iced with Buttercream.

Thanks for all your help and ideas. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%