Dry Ice

Decorating By tirby Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm by Doug

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering ifyou guys know if fondant would be better or buttercream to use on
'logs' that are "On fire" we would be putting dry ice UNDER the cake board. BUT the cake board will have holes drilled in it so the "smoke" can come through.
Anyway I have NEVER used dry ice and didn't know if the fondant would work or if Buttercream would be best.

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 8

probably not much difference.

the fog is actually water vapor.

dry ice + HOT water = lots of fog. (amount of fog falls as water cools. can vary output by controlling water temp. also the dry ice will be come encrusted in frozen water -- crack it off to get thicker fog -- WARNING NEVER oh NEVER touch dry ice with bare hands or to bare skin!!!)

so either one is going to get wet from condensation.

if cake is at room temp shouldn't be too much of a problem for what little exposure there will be.

TuckerCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TuckerCaker Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 8

Dry ice is basically frozen CO2. If you are really interested in the process of making dry ice, you can see more information at this dry ice website. I do not think it will have any impact on your cake (except for making it colder on the bottom). There are many safety concerns and if you have not used dry ice before, i recommend that you read up on them.

Good luck[/url]

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 8

A few years ago for a Halloween party with friends, I made a 3D ghost covered in fondant and used dry ice under the cake stand with dry ice. The cake was not affected.

I do have to admit that I was highly dissappointed in the results though. I wanted it to have a billowing smoke feel like in the movies and we never quite got that. I spent alot of time loading up more and more dry ice until we cut it, but the transformation from solid to gas was painfully slow.

Maybe since you are allowing it to come up only from the pre-drilled holes you can better control it and get better results. I personally wished I had rented a fog machine! icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

I do have to admit that I was highly dissappointed in the results though. I wanted it to have a billowing smoke feel like in the movies and we never quite got that.

they get by using dry ice fog machines. a LARGE (often on order of 50 gallons) vat of water with a water heater element in it and a tight fitting lid.
also a basket to hold the dry ice above the water until needed and a way to lower & raise the basket.

heat water to near boiling and keep element ON, lower basket and tons of fog. most machines when fully freshly loaded gave about 10 min. total of fog.

more modern version works off of large tanks of compressed liquid CO2.

Since early 80s lots of the fog effects are actually vaporized (by heat) glycol product. This type tends to rise instead of fall/lay low and has to be chilled using liquid CO2

The tiny amounts used in caking won't give the billowing effect

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 8

thanks. I guess I'll do fondant! I think it will be a deck of 6 logs.
stacked 3 then 2 then 1... I hope I can figure the suports out. Seems strange to stack a pyramid shape? And suggestions on that or how to make it stacked so the fog can come out a little

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

Oooh....what about in a style like a tee pee...stick a little electric flickering orange or yellow bulbed candle underneath to emulate the flame (since you'll already have a hole for the "smoke" the little bulb should fit in nicely). Then smoke and light could come through one hole in the base.

You'll have to post a mini movie to You tube so we can all see it in action....I'm so excited to see this...can I come play with you the day you put it together? I love this crazy kinda stuff!!!

Doug Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 8

better to stack the logs tepee style -- all standing up and leaning in. That is a method for making a nice fire (the starter material is placed inside the tepee shape)

doing this can form logs around skewers for support.
see this site for several designs:
http://www.activity-sheets.com/scout/scouting-campcraft/index.htm

tepee style:http://www.natureskills.com/camp_fire_building.html

tepee style will also allow the fog to come out easily or could carry fog tube to top of tepee so it vent out of top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%