Air Bubbles In Buttercream

Decorating By Angie1968 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm by CWR41

Angie1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie1968 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

After finishing my cakes, I let them set overnight before moving or delivering. Lately, after loading the cake and delivering it, I have noticed that sometimes a bubble pops out on the side of the cake. I use a crusting buttercream icing and it has happened both on tiered cakes and sheet cakes. It sure does make an ugly spot on the cake when I try to flatten it back down. Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to keep it from happening or fix it when it happens? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

Do you let your cakes settle after you fill them? How stiff is your buttercream dam - If not stiff enough, it will cause bulges/bubbles on the sides. If you don't let them settle, anything extra between the layers will squeeze out. If you let them settle, it will give them a chance for anything excess in the filling to squeeze out so you can smooth it before your final coat of BC. If you don't have time to let them settle, I let mine sit with a pyrex dish on top for a couple of hours. Others use a ceramic floor tile dedicated for that use.

Angie1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie1968 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do let them "settle". I stacked this cake on Wednesday night and did as you asked. I left it stacked with weight on the top all night. I iced it last night and it was fine this morning until I put it in the car and drove 10 minutes away and when I got there, it had a bubble popped out in the front of the cake of all places!!!! It has happened on sheet cakes as well.....

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 6

Even though you let them settle, the vibrations of your vehicle are probably causing it to bubble out. Are you using a medium/stiff icing to create your dam before putting in the filling? Before I like to frost my cakes, I usually push down pretty hard on the top and wiggle them a bit to make sure the filling has distributed evenly and all air has escaped.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 6

Was the sun shining on your cake through the window? I am convinced these occur with temperature changes.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 6

Probably from icing your cake while it was too cold. (still frozen or refrigerated.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%