Icing Cakes Using A Spatula

Decorating By cakelady247 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm by Donnagardner

cakelady247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady247 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:34am
post #1 of 6

Steps and Video Demonstration of this How-To Ice Cakes Using a Spatula:
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/using-a-spatula.cfm?cmp=EMC-ewivb71310&icid=icingwithspatula-image

5 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 6

not a very smooth cake,way to much work and she didn't do any thing with the sides, go to u-tube and watch edna's video on icing a cake, and the viva method, it's the best.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 6

oh gawd, that is really bad. THe icing looks too thick and I thought the whole process looked clumsy and honestly ... somewhat amateurish. More like a "housewife" cake instead of a CC'er cake. icon_redface.gif

The crumb-coated version looked much better than the mess she was doing. icon_eek.gif

I agree with the above. Watch Edna's video. MUCH better! thumbs_up.gif

babyshac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyshac Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah that frosting is way to thick you can see how its lifting and catching when it should be gliding.

It depends on the butter cream recipe but if it seems too thick, catches or won't smooth add a little more liquid and really whip it until its smooth and fluffy. It will resemble whip cream but it should not be that thin... anyway its easier to spread with a spatula. The extra liquid evaporates and still creates a crust but makes your life easier.

Edna's videos are amazing definably check them out!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 6

I seen that video on FB this morning and must say, I have not been impressed w/ any of the Wilton videos. I like some of the ideas themselves, but the lady who carries out those ideas on the videos does a horrible job. Even when she did something as easy as a star tip border, they were uneven and all different sizes. icon_surprised.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 6

Yes that is a terrible how to video.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%