Make Your Own Molds Questions

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm by dchockeyguy

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 6

I have seen MYOM mentioned in different threads but only recently looked it up and it looks pretty cool. I was trying to search the forums for some more info but had a hard time so I have some questions:

1. If I was only going to use the molds every so often about how long will one pound last?

2. Once I make a mold is it good forever?

3. Can I use different mediums in it like chocolate, isomalt, fondant, etc?

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much! If you don't have the answers but know where they are in the forum that would be great too.

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 6

If you post these in the MYOM section, Chef Dominic will help you out quicker (he will see the post faster there)

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 6

I can give you some of these answers. The molds, once made, pretty much last forever. I have some I made a couple of years ago, and they're still fine. And you can use pretty much any medium you want. I've used fondant and chocolate in the ones I made myself, but I'm wanting to do some I can put Isomalt in.

I think the materials have about a year shelf life, but Dominic can answer that WAY better than I can.

PS: Dominic, can't wait to see you at convention. Going to your Isomalt demo, and I'll be hitting you up at the booth for some more tips on some molds i want to make.

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

I have seen MYOM mentioned in different threads but only recently looked it up and it looks pretty cool. I was trying to search the forums for some more info but had a hard time so I have some questions:

1. If I was only going to use the molds every so often about how long will one pound last?

2. Once I make a mold is it good forever?

3. Can I use different mediums in it like chocolate, , fondant, etc?

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much! If you don't have the answers but know where they are in the forum that would be great too.

Hi ohayr639,

I answered your questions in the separate post you made in my forum.

Dominic

icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I can give you some of these answers. The molds, once made, pretty much last forever. I have some I made a couple of years ago, and they're still fine. And you can use pretty much any medium you want. I've used fondant and chocolate in the ones I made myself, but I'm wanting to do some I can put in.

I think the materials have about a year shelf life, but Dominic can answer that WAY better than I can.

PS: Dominic, can't wait to see you at convention. Going to your demo, and I'll be hitting you up at the booth for some more tips on some molds i want to make.

Hi dchockeyguy,

I am working on packing as much info as possible into my isomalt demo. I hope when we are done you will not have one remaining question about using this great substitute sugar. I look forward to helping you with your mold making ideas at my booth.

Feel free to bring objects you want to mold and I will tell you exactly how to do it. I really look forward to that part of the convention - meeting folks like you and talkin' molds.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds great, Dominic. I'll bring a few things along. I'll try tokeep Norm away from you this year! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%