Should I Give Her All Money Back

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:15am by allaboutcakeuk

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:22am
post #91 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Sorry, I thought I might have typed in a way that would be taken wrong. I wasn't trying to start a copywrite debate. icon_smile.gif

What I meant is that because of the copywrite issue I don't think either side would "win" in court. This is just from watching those tv shows with judges, though. If you enter into an illegal contract, it's not really a contract because of the illegality.

I'm not sure about this. The judge might say that, because the baker is the professional, he/she should have known about copyright laws and that they couldn't sell a cake with trademarked figurines without permission....and therefore make the baker pay back ALL the money. (I understand in this case, the baker didn't put the figurines on the cake, so didn't technically sell an "illegal" cake, but the baker DID agree to do so originally.)

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:15am
post #92 of 92

This is a tough one as you don't want unhappy customers but at the same time they didn't seem to take much care of the cake when taking it home either. I always have the customer come in and look at the cake if they are collecting. Then they take it away. I give them written advice paperwork on how to store the cake and also verbally when they are leaving about how to transport it. If they mess it up after that in my mind it is down to them. I also make sure they have a written agreement in with their invoice stating the fact that once they take the cake it is their responsibility. As far as the dryness of the cake etc I have in my terms that they should at least give me the opportunity to correct any mistakes etc. It doesn't sound like they are allowing you to do that. It would be the easy option to refund money but if as you say the cake was perfect when it left its admitting you did something wrong when you didn't!

If you could bring yourself to do them another cake tell them you have already waived the remainder of the balance and they have only paid a depo. If they were unhappy with the cake it should not have been eaten and returned immediately in order that you could rectify what they were not happy with and say you will make them a cake for another event free of charge (within reason costs wise)

its miserable when people won't meet you half way! good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%