Good Thoughts For My Nephew, Please?

Lounge By PiccoloChellie Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 5:03am by anxietyattack

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 10

My nephew Dominic was born this afternoon - 2 weeks early after a difficult pregnancy. He's 7lbs 4oz and 20.25" long. My sister is doing just fine.

Initially all was perfect, but shortly after birth one of Dom's lungs collapsed and he's having difficulty with the whole breathing thing.
He's in the NICU now and may be looking at surgery to reinflate his still-collapsed lung. The doctors have him in a special incubator of some sort that may help correct the pressure difference, but he's been in it for 6 hours with no improvement. They're going to decide tonight if they have to operate. I get the impression that the doctors are leaning towards surgery as necessary. icon_sad.gif

I'd appreciate good thoughts/prayers for this little fella. I haven't been allowed in to see him yet - they're only letting his parents in the NICU and we're all kind of in the dark and, obviously, very scared. icon_cry.gif

9 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 10

Awww....prayed for him.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:07am
post #3 of 10

Oh My...That is so heartbreaking..It is supposed to be the most special day of a new parents life.My son was born 3 weeks early and was only 5 lbs 9 ounzes but he was great except a bit of jaundice so I know the stresses.

My thoughts and prayers!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 10

He is in the very best place he can be. The Dr.'s and nurses in the NICU units are the best in the world IMO. I will never forget the gentle kind care they gave my son. I will keep him and your family in my prayers.

PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 10

Quick update on the situation: the little bugger is a fighter, that's for sure! His other lung had a partial collapse as well, but late last night one of the collapses resolved on its own. He continued to improve overnight and this morning's Xrays are showing that both lungs are fully "inflated" and he's breathing well on room air.

There's still fluid in his lungs and there's still a chance for infection. He's going to remain in NICU for 2 or 3 days minimum on antibiotics and under observation. He has what's called 'meconium aspiration syndrome' which, though it can be serious, isn't usually life threatening. Dom is bouncing back well and his doctors are very pleased with how he's doing. I'm heading down to the hospital shortly and will get to meet my new nephew for the first time. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you so much for your prayers and good thoughts!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 10

Great news!! Thank you so much for the update. Enjoy meeting the new bundle of love! icon_smile.gif

PiccoloChellie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 10

Baby Dom was discharged this afternoon and is settling in at his new digs - HOME! He's 7 days and 5 hours old.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. icon_biggrin.gif Here's the little bugger prior to his discharge.
LL

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 10

Oh what a beautiful baby boy!!! God bless him always! I just found this topic and am just thrilled to hear the good news! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #9 of 10

What a beautiful baby boy thumbs_up.gif So thankful everything is well with him. thumbs_up.gif

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:03am
post #10 of 10

I'm so happy he's ok. He's absolutely adorable!!!! Tell your sister congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%