Help Disaster Happening!!

Decorating By oopsydeb Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 1:20am by dsilbern

oopsydeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oopsydeb Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making a cake for a baby shower for Saturday and Last night I baked the cakes and wrapped them, it was late and maybe they didn't cool enough. I was just trying to fill and layer them and they are falling apart. I have a 1/2 sheet and I had to cut the top layer into 4 pieces just to move it in place and it's still crumbling. I've got them together for the moment and in the fridge.
I was planning on using white chocolate ganache and then fondant on top. My question is should I proceed and try and work with what I have or start baking all over? The fondant work is pretty free form so I don't need a perfectly smooth base for it. I'm also wondering if somehow I get the cakes together and and stacked (2 tiers) will it just crumble and fall apart when they try to cut it at the party!!! Someone help please!!!!

15 replies
Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 16

Sorry this is happening to you! If you are going to stack, I would bake a new cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 16

If it's that crumbly, I would rebake. Better to fix it while you have time than to have it fall apart when you're decorating it, and have to try to redo it at the last minute.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 16

I agree with the others that you might want to make new cake because they may fall apart once you stack them.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #5 of 16

agreed! bake now! are you using box mix? add a box of pudding and an extra egg for moisture and to combine your cake better. good luck!

oopsydeb Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #6 of 16

I guess I'll be up all night! I am baking from scratch, I'll need to go back to the store. I think maybe I should a new recipe, that may have been part of the problem. Anyone have a good lemon cake recipe, for a half sheet cake. I had made a WASC with lemon flavor. Thanks

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:46am
post #7 of 16

Sorry to hear that. I have been up many a night baking and hate it. I have to make a lemon birthday cake and the lady gave me specific directions on how she wanted her cake baked. She wants Betty Crocker lemon cake mix with a box of lemon pudding added and lemon juice in place of the water. I think I might try adding one box of pudding to two mixes just to make sure the cake isn't to moist.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:46am
post #8 of 16

Forgot she also said they add an extra egg.

oopsydeb Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 16

Funny, she gave you the recipe. I was up until 1:30 am and as much as I didn't want to do it, I'm glad I did, the cakes look great. I just hope the decorating goes okay, I can't handle another disaster!
icon_wink.gif
By the way, I now have enough left over cake to make about 300 cake balls!! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydeb

Funny, she gave you the recipe. I was up until 1:30 am and as much as I didn't want to do it, I'm glad I did, the cakes look great. I just hope the decorating goes okay, I can't handle another disaster!
icon_wink.gif
By the way, I now have enough left over cake to make about 300 cake balls!! icon_biggrin.gif

WIN thumbs_up.gif

good luck with your cake!

oopsydeb Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #11 of 16

Thanks for your help. I remade the cakes and it came together beautifully! Take a look!
Thanks again
Debby icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL
LL

step0nmi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #12 of 16

OMG THAT'S ADORABLE! icon_biggrin.gif great work!

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #13 of 16

LOVE THE CAKE!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #14 of 16

You're Cake is awesome!!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:09am
post #15 of 16

Amazing!!

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #16 of 16

Your cake is so adorable! I collect dragon figurines and I LOVE this.

I also had a scratch lemon cake get weird on me. It didn't crumble, it became extremely dense which made it hard to cut. Wonder if the lemon has something to do with it? Any foodie scientists out there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%