Pearlescent Accents On To?

Decorating By Foxicakes Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm by quietude

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 3

There have been several beautiful cakes that I have seen that have this pearlescent coating on the fondant. Sometimes the entire cake has it, sometimes it it just a few of the accents while the rest of the cake is a flat white. I always assumed that this was done with luster dust that had been mixed with alcohol. However when I was checking out the cake design store,, I found this Glitter Piping Gel in several different colors, like silver and pearl. Can you tell me is THIS the stuff that is used to get that effect? And if not, what is this stuff used for? Thank you!!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 3

When the whole cake has it, it's usually done with an airbrush and pearl airbrush color. You can paint with the airbrush color and a paintbrush, but it takes a little practice not to leave streaks. The one I've used is Amerimist pearl sheen.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 3

I use either PME lustre spray or luster dust mixed with lemon extract or vodka. They both work beautifully, but I prefer the spray for covering a large surface.



Quote by @%username% on %date%