Amateur Cake Decorator: Need Advice On Fondant Accents

Decorating By tlucero Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm by tlucero

tlucero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlucero Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 6

I enjoy decorating cakes for fun. I mostly just do them for my family for pracitce. I've tried frosting the cake with buttercream and using fondant accents on the cake. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the fondant ends up hardening to where you have to peel it off the cake before you eat it. Can anyone please tell me what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 6

What kind of fondant are you using?

tlucero Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 6

It's the premade Wilton brand. I've never made fondant and didn't have the time to try it out so I just used this.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 6

Fondant dries as air hits it so there's not much you can do to keep it supple except add them at the last minute. Otherwise as your cake sets out and the fondant is exposed to air it will begin to dry. Let fondant sit out long enough and it becomes rock hard which is great when you are making figurines but not great on the cake. If you decorate your cake no more than a day or so before serving it then the fondant should be ok. Wilton is not the best to use because it's a fairly firm fondant to begin with but even wilton should be semi soft for 48 hours.

Cat

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had that get real hard, sorry I can't help.

tlucero Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the responses. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%