Is It A Good Idea To...?

Business By CrumblesConfections Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm by CrumblesConfections

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 11

I'm having a garage sale this weekend and I personally think it would be a great idea to make some cupcakes and cake truffles to sell too. I'm in Houston, TX so the weather will be ridiculously hot, so do you think this is a good idea? If so, my next issue is storage. How will I keep the cupcakes in the garage without them melting before I can even sell them? PLEASE HELP!

10 replies
CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 11

Depending on the rules for your area you might not be able to do this depending on food laws. Sucks, but that's probably your first thing to check before getting your hopes up... From there, if you're in the clear, just bring them out as you use them... No one needs to know you've got another couple dozen in the house ready to sell if the first ones sell out icon_twisted.gif ..

CrumblesConfections Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

Depending on the rules for your area you might not be able to do this depending on food laws. Sucks, but that's probably your first thing to check before getting your hopes up... From there, if you're in the clear, just bring them out as you use them... No one needs to know you've got another couple dozen in the house ready to sell if the first ones sell out icon_twisted.gif ..

You are so right. I don't think my state allows it thumbsdown.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe you could do a free cupcake with every purchase over $10 and a free cake truffle if over $5 (or whatever you think appropriate). Would you be allowed to give food away? You might make more money on your garage sale overall, especially if you put a big sign up icon_biggrin.gif

CrumblesConfections Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Maybe you could do a free cupcake with every purchase over $10 and a free cake truffle if over $5 (or whatever you think appropriate). Would you be allowed to give food away? You might make more money on your garage sale overall, especially if you put a big sign up icon_biggrin.gif

This sounds good! I'll definitely look into this to see!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 11

Since you are in Texas I wouldn't sell baked goods. Personally I wouldn't even give away baked goods to complete strangers.

There is enough going on with a garage sell to worry about trying to keep cupcakes from melting in the Texas heat.

Now if you want to do something nice for the garage sellers and make a little extra money, what about going and getting a case of canned drinks and bottled water to sell.

CrumblesConfections Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Since you are in Texas I wouldn't sell baked goods. Personally I wouldn't even give away baked goods to complete strangers.

There is enough going on with a garage sell to worry about trying to keep cupcakes from melting in the Texas heat.

Now if you want to do something nice for the garage sellers and make a little extra money, what about going and getting a case of canned drinks and bottled water to sell.

That's a good idea. Don't want any issues at all! Thanks for the advice!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 11

My concearn is that you really don't know who will come through the garage sale, maybe the local health inspector is looking for a bargin that weekend.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 11

Not to forget that heat and bacteria are great friends. If someone does get sick then the money made on the garage sale will be gone before you know it!

CrumblesConfections Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

My concearn is that you really don't know who will come through the garage sale, maybe the local health inspector is looking for a bargin that weekend.

Excellent point! Didn't think about that!

CrumblesConfections Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

Not to forget that heat and bacteria are great friends. If someone does get sick then the money made on the garage sale will be gone before you know it!

Definitely don't need to add that to the pot too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%