Moving Party - Va To Mn

Decorating By kger Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 10:41pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 19

Our neighbors are moving from VA to MN and the cul-de-sac is having a little farewell party. Of course, I volunteered to do the cake! I have a 3D house pan, which is what immediately came to mind. I could try a Minnesota theme with lakes, and have the house by the water, but I don't know if they will even be near a lake. Or I could do something in the shape of either state, like a Virginia cake and a Minnesota cake.

But, I thought I'd check with you guys for ideas. There will only be 12 - 15 ppl.

18 replies
kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 19

I'm doing a moving cake this weekend too. They are moving from Indiana to Florida. I'm doing a suitcase with stickers on it with different things about the move.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 19

re VA to MN...

think snow..... lots and lots and lots and lots of Snow!!! (did I say lots?)

this also opens up possibilities of:

winter coat theme

snow shovel and bag of salt

a "don't freeze your a.. off!" cake (would do a variation of the baby rump cakes for this one)

a calendar theme -- Spring: June, Summer: July, Fall: August, Start of winter: September, Hell HAS frozen over!: February, Still winter: April-May. etc.

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 19

Love the suitcase idea! Also love the winter idea.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 19

What about a moving box? maybe with packing peanuts coming out of the top?

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 19

Oooh, good one.

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:56am
post #7 of 19

You could do a cake in the shape of the USA and mark on VA and MN with a dotted red line connecting to two, like a treasure map!! And then decorate the rest of the cake with things representing the family and/or both states etc.

..... Hard to explain, maybe I'm the only one who can picture it haha.

kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNellaCakes

You could do a cake in the shape of the USA and mark on VA and MN with a dotted red line connecting to two, like a treasure map!! And then decorate the rest of the cake with things representing the family and/or both states etc.

Look at my photos. You mean like my USA cake?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

What about a moving box? maybe with packing peanuts coming out of the top?

I second this one.. thumbs_up.gif

kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 19

It's a great idea, but I don't think I have the skill set for that one. Or square pans. I'm thinking suitcase with MN stickers will be the winner. I have 2 cakes for Saturday, and this one for Sunday, so I won't have too much time to play with.

kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 19

Oh wait, THIS:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=57458

I could do.

Maybe that will be the winner.

kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 19

Does that look like fondant or BC?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 19

that is a cute box, and it looks like buttercream to me.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 19

It looks like buttercream to me too! But I think it would be just as easy with fondant!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #15 of 19

Believe me, it doesn't matter if they will be living on a lake, with well over 10,000 of them, they are hard to miss.

I like the moving box, maybe instead of Fragile you can write Parka, Boots, Hats, Gloves, etc on it.

It is cold/winter 5-6 months out of the year here (I wish I was kidding) so winter related is appropriate.

Also, people LOVE to go "Up North" to the Cabin for fishing and boating on "The Lake" when the weather is nice so maybe someting woodsy.

Editied to add: Loons, Loons are big here, state bird or duck or something like that.

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:33am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNellaCakes

Look at my photos. You mean like my USA cake?

Yep that's exactly what I mean! But I love the moving box idea.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:54am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Believe me, it doesn't matter if they will be living on a lake, with well over 10,000 of them, they are hard to miss.

I like the moving box, maybe instead of Fragile you can write Parka, Boots, Hats, Gloves, etc on it.

It is cold/winter 5-6 months out of the year here (I wish I was kidding) so winter related is appropriate.

Also, people LOVE to go "Up North" to the Cabin for fishing and boating on "The Lake" when the weather is nice so maybe someting woodsy.

Editied to add: Loons, Loons are big here, state bird or duck or something like that.

And because late fall/winter/early spring can be so cold.....people try to make the most of it.....skiing, ice fishing, snowshoeing, sledding, snowmobiling, etc.

What part of the state are they moving to? The Twin Cities has a vibrant arts scene, several professional sports teams, interesting shopping, and the ever present lakes.

kger Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:32am
post #18 of 19

I have no idea, but DH is liking this: http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-966223.html

kger Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:41pm
post #19 of 19

The party was moved to a 9am farewell breakfast and I told them I'd bring fruit, so I'm now looking through the "fruit cakes" in the gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%