Is My Mud Cake Supose To Be Like This?

Baking By Yummy-MummyCakeCreations Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 1:25am by Yummy-MummyCakeCreations

Yummy-MummyCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yummy-MummyCakeCreations Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 4

icon_cry.gif Help icon_cry.gif

I'm making a 2 tiered chocolate mud cake for a customer, 10" and 7" which will be dirty icied in a creamy chocolate frosting and covered with fondant, yada yada yada

I've never made a chocolate mud cake before so - I used a store brought mix thinking that this was a fool proof idea... icon_cry.gif I mixed 5 x Betty Crocker Decadent Chocolate Mud Cake mixes in a very large bowl and devided them between the 2 tins so that they would both bake to the same height... 4hours and 20min later the 10" was cooked (the 7" took 3hrs) @ 140deg. C

I'm not sure if the texture of the cake is right??? icon_eek.gif I wanted to make sure they where cooked through properly so I did a sinful thing and cut the 7" cake in half to check (it's ok once I've dirty iced it and covered it withh fondant they'll never know) anyway the middle is cooked, firm to touch but a very wierd texture, like a very dence, moist and just wierd...

is that normal? I don't want to give her something I'm not sure about...

Ahhhhhhhh I'm not likeing mud cakes icon_mad.gif
LL

3 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

Yep, "mud" cakes are very moist and dense. Like mud! icon_biggrin.gif

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:03am
post #3 of 4

Looks about right to me!
Pam's recipe is a pretty good one, if you are ever looking to make it from scratch - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14688/pams-chocolate-mudcake

Yummy-MummyCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yummy-MummyCakeCreations Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 4

thanks icon_rolleyes.gif I didn't use it, I fed it to my family instead- tasted really good! It was just not right for the design...
I ended up starting again and following a great recipe from a decorating cook book I have...

cake turned out perfect in the end thumbs_up.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1742311.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%