Black Color Mist/canned Spray

Decorating By kger Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 13

I'm going to be making a Star Wars cake in a few weeks and there was one in the gallery that was airbrushed black with white bc underneath. The result left flecks of white that gave it that space/galaxy look.

I know that Wilton Black Color Mist won't give me the result I want. Is there some other product that might work, or should I just use black fondant and call it a day?

12 replies
tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know the answer to your question, but I am curious to see what others have to say. I am making a Lego Star Wars cake for this weekend. What photo are you talking about in the gallery? Could you provide a link?

I wouldn't want to eat that much black fondant, but people can always peel it off.

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1252294

I love it! And I've also been trying to find some options for stars. I know there is a product with candy confetti stars, but I can't find white ones, so I need to find out if there's a white spray so I can paint the multi-colored ones.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 13

If you're going to use the candy confetti stars and the black spray, could you just put the candy confetti stars on the cake, spray over them and then pull them back off, leaving the white star design on the surface? Or were you looking for the extra dimension of the stars?

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 13

That's a great idea if I'm able to find the spray. But I'm thinking I may have to use black fondant and stick the stars on.

AiringtonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AiringtonsCakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 13

what about the new Duff spray? I haven't tried it but saw it at Micheals might work better than Wilton

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 13

Ooh, I've never heard of it. Let me google.

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 13

Oh, no black.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 13

i hate the Wilton color mist spray, but i haven't tried duff's cake graffiti spray. i haven't found anyone here on CC that can give their $0.02 on it. i've been too cheap to buy it myself! i would love to know if that's a good alternative.

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 13

That is a neat effect on the cake! I'm not familiar with the Wilton color spray, if you know that it won't give you the look and you don't have or want to buy an airbrush I'm not sure what else you could do.

The stars just look like fondant cutouts to me, which would be easier than trying to paint the candy ones.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 13

I've used the Duff spray in silver(use your coupon!)on my R2D2 cake, it worked ok. I just used it over grey fondant to give it more of a silver/metal look. I had to use quite a bit of it and it did have a heavy aerosol smell, but didn't have a funny taste or anything.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 13

I'm not sure but that cake looks to have been iced in black buttercream and then white splattered added after iced. Suggestion, ice cake with black buttercream or cover with black fondant and then take a clean brush (I would use a new toothbrush) dip it in white RI or edible paint, hold over cake and run my finger through bristles. Can you see my description? Picture the toothpaste splatter on bathroom mirror from children cleaning their toothbrushes, lol.

~Kim

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 13

That's a good idea, Kim. I've thought about that.

I wanted to use the candy confetti stars since they are so much smaller. I'm not wild about the big fondant ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%