Had A Kid Scream "her Cake Made Me Puke"...

Decorating By anasazi17 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm by cutthecake

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:17am
post #91 of 104

Thanks, Jackmo! I just wanted to put my two cents in. The nasty little imp that the OP had to endure was too much. His parents should have been by his side and should have made him apologise. No excuses for that kind of behaviour. However, there are exceptions to some children's meltdowns. Now that I'm aware of what the signs are I can tell if he really is just an imp or there's something else going on.

If the people are nasty and gawking then I usually will say something, but I just try to focus on my son. He makes noises, flaps his arms and when we are at Disneyland we have an assisted pass. We try not to use it because we don't want him to think he shouldn't have to stand in line like everyone else. However, if the line is too long 30 minutes or so we will use it and of course we will get one or two jerks making really loud comments. I usually will tell them "let me give your kid my son's Autism and we will stay all day long in the line". Usually shuts them up.

It's so sad when parents that have healthy, "normal" functioning kids and they won't teach them to be decent. My younger daughter completely understands what is expected of her and what she can/cannot do. It would be a tragedy if I didn't teach her the right way to behave and I would have failed her as her mom.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:04am
post #92 of 104

The one thing that I try to remember as a parent is that while I am raising children, more so I am training them to be adults. I feel it is my job as a mother to rise my children to be functioning adults, not "happy" children. Yes, my children are happy, and they do get a little wild at times, but they know they have choices in life, and with every choice is a consequence. Like; you choose not to eat your dinner in a timely manner, you choose to go without until the next meal. You choose to throw a fit at a party, or disrespect the host, well you have chosen to leave early, WITHOUT a goody bag. If they choose to eat their food they get a special treat later, if they behave themselves they get to participate in the fun. ECT.... Sometimes they choose to behave, others, well, not so much. But they know the consequences and they made the choice, so I do not feel least bit sorry when I drag them out kicking and screaming without the goody bag!

It's a tough job, but someone has gotta parent!!!!!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #93 of 104

This thread is keeping me laughing, LOL
When my gson was about 5 he was so picky and spoiled, [it was is other
gma's fault, he was her only gs] He was at our house one day and told my dh that he wanted a pbj sandwich. So dh went about fixing it for him. He saw him putting the pb on the bread, then put the jelly on top of it.
He threw a fit, and told him"no!! you have to put the jelly on the other piece of bread!!! Not touching, then put them together!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif " dh was, like "WTF!! it still touches each other"
He told him if he didn't want it that way he wans't getting anything, and he kept crying, so dh threw it in the trash, and said"there ya go, you don't get anything now" so he didn't eat. He never did that again. Not here any ways.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #94 of 104

Your hubby did exactly what he should have done Patticake. He stood his ground, was the parent and did not give in to a tantrum. That is SOOOOooo rare these days! Your son will thank him later, trust me!!

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

gma's fault, he was her only gs] He was at our house one day and told my dh that he wanted a pbj sandwich. So dh went about fixing it for him. He saw him putting the pb on the bread, then put the jelly on top of it.
He threw a fit, and told him"no!! you have to put the jelly on the other piece of bread!!! Not touching, then put them together!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif " dh was, like "WTF!! it still touches each other"
He told him if he didn't want it that way he wans't getting anything, and he kept crying, so dh threw it in the trash, and said"there ya go, you don't get anything now" so he didn't eat. He never did that again. Not here any ways.

Sooo funny! This exact thing happened with one of my nieces! Wierest thing. Kids are so funny how they "see" things in the world.

Note: I didn't give into her fit either. Yay me!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #96 of 104

Wow. I read this to my son, and he said "boy, if I did that. I wouldn't see my playstation for at least a month." Smart kid icon_biggrin.gif. Where were the parents? My son didn't wander around a fair without an adult until about year ago (he's 14 now) and that was with a group of friends that I know.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #97 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

Good for dh! My own DH went to COLLEGE with a MAN who could only eat his bread toasted on one side. Let's take a moment to imagine him as a bratty 6 year old.... I have ZERO time for picky kids - the choices in our house are eat it or go hungry.

patticake1951 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:29pm
post #98 of 104

Sometimes he is spoiled but not nearly as bad as he was back then.
he is still picky and he is 12 yrs old now, but not around his grandpa anymore.LOL he has a little brother now that is 3 yrs old and doesn't let him get away with doing stuff like that either. My dd lets them get away with stuff a little too much, but they are pretty good most of the time.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #99 of 104

Oh, Patti, I wasn't saying your grandson was bratty icon_smile.gif - I meant the OP's puker. I'm sure your grandkids are quite delightful!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #100 of 104

I don't have kids but I do volunteer at a center and help with about 150-200 kids when they have lunch. I can only say that after 3 years of watching different groups, that BY FAR, it is always the kids from the poorer areas that are the most well behaved, the neatest dressed, and the most polite (always "yes please", "thank you"). And I never see them take food they don't eat. If they don't like it they say "no thank you" and get something they eat. I think it is that their parents just teach them manners and respect - they value that and insist on it.

patticake1951 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #101 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Oh, Patti, I wasn't saying your grandson was bratty icon_smile.gif - I meant the OP's puker. I'm sure your grandkids are quite delightful!

Oh, I didn't think that. I was just saying that he wasn't as bad now.

kaseysweetkissbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseysweetkissbakery Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #102 of 104

OMG! I would have went to jail... LMAO! How ridiculous is that person...

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

The one thing that I try to remember as a parent is that while I am raising children, more so I am training them to be adults. I feel it is my job as a mother to rise my children to be functioning adults, not "happy" children. Yes, my children are happy, and they do get a little wild at times, but they know they have choices in life, and with every choice is a consequence. Like; you choose not to eat your dinner in a timely manner, you choose to go without until the next meal. You choose to throw a fit at a party, or disrespect the host, well you have chosen to leave early, WITHOUT a goody bag. If they choose to eat their food they get a special treat later, if they behave themselves they get to participate in the fun. ECT.... Sometimes they choose to behave, others, well, not so much. But they know the consequences and they made the choice, so I do not feel least bit sorry when I drag them out kicking and screaming without the goody bag!

It's a tough job, but someone has gotta parent!!!!!

I agree. I never feel sorry telling my children no or taking them away from something because they made a choice that caused us to leave. I know I am doing them a favor.

It does not bother me to see young kids behaving badly, because all kids will throw tantrums in some stage of their early life. And young children are so sensitive to sleep and hunger that I know how they can loose control of themselves. BUT, like others have said, it is all about how the parents react and what they let their children do.

When it comes to this kid, he has obliviously been unfortunate with bad parents. Good thing you can laugh at is now! It's shameful when parents don't realize what a serious matter parenting is.

I don't know what I would qualify to call myself. (I'm not old school but I don't know much about the new generation "feel good" or what that even means) I don't believe in spanking or using any type of violence to discipline a child. I don't believe you learn anything through fear, but rather from logical consequences and sometimes mistakes.

Our neighbors have two 9 year old boys and one of those I can't stand and I would definitely call him a brat. I can't keep quiet when he shocks me with his rude, mean and disrespectful comments and behavior. One time I kicked him out from our place and told him he is not welcome back until he can play nicely.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #104 of 104

All kids have bratty moments. But it's the parents' reaction/action following those bratty moments that counts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%