Will Ganache On A Car Cake Be Ok Under Fondant

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm by sweetcakes

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 4

So im making a car cake using Mikes instructions. But instead of using his buttercream recipe i have decided to ganache the cake instead before placing the candy clay and fondant. Do you think this will be ok? what problems can you see occuring? Ill be ready to place the fondant on on Friday for a Saturday morning delivery, oh and then they are driving it 3-4 hrs to the wedding.

3 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 4

Ganache is fantastic for 3D cakes - sets up nice and firm and it transports well, better than buttercream in my opinion.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:42am
post #3 of 4

I have traveled a ganache under fondant for 9 hours with no problems. Just make sure the have the AC on.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 4

thanks guys, i thought it would be ok. the only thing that really concerned me was after i had put some on and it had set up i had to move the car, even with careful moving the board must have bent so the ganache cracked. Of course this car has yet to go on its riser and the actual cake board so the support will be good and strong, at least 1" of foam core all in. Its just getting it onto these boards as the fondant is put on before that, perhaps by that time the ganache will be alttle softer under the fondant and less likely to crack. Thanks again though!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%