Bet You Can See This One Coming From A Mile Away

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm by mamawrobin

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #1 of 8

Get an email today from a someone I have made 2 cakes for in the past. She paid a $25 non-refundable deposit back in June to save the date for her party in Aug.

She needs to stay at $75 for her cake. No problem. I've had a price increase since the last time she ordered but since she was a repeat customer and I was trying to keep it within her budget I went ahead and quoted her at the price she paid for the last cake.

In today's email she tells me she's changed the date of the party to a week later (I love how she just assumed I would still be available to do make the cake) and tells me she needs another 10 servings and that....

you know what's coming right?

Still needs to stay at $75.

Ummm...

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 8

...Well, if she wants more servings (but can't afford more cake) - I'd be guessing she'll just have to cut the slices smaller. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #3 of 8

Do what you have to do. If ur not available, hey...that's what she gets. You saved the 1st date for her not the rescheduled date. and tell her if she needs the $75 budget she will need to downgrade her order to stay in that price range like a plain butter cream filling vs fruit, butter cream vs fondant, etc. Don't let people take advantage of you!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

...Well, if she wants more servings (but can't afford more cake) - I'd be guessing she'll just have to cut the slices smaller. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif words from the wise... icon_lol.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 8

Well I am available for the new date so that's not a big deal I was just irritated that she just assumed icon_rolleyes.gif

I did send her a polite but direct email letting her know that I was already cutting her a deal and she if she wanted to stay at $75 then she gets the original amount of servings otherwise more cake means more money.

I mean really, would you go into the grocery store and tell the cashier well I orginally wanted 5 oranges at $5 but now I need 10 oranges but I still want to only pay $5. Geesh!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

I love it!!!!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Well I am available for the new date so that's not a big deal I was just irritated that she just assumed icon_rolleyes.gif

I did send her a polite but direct email letting her know that I was already cutting her a deal and she if she wanted to stay at $75 then she gets the original amount of servings otherwise more cake means more money.

I mean really, would you go into the grocery store and tell the cashier well I orginally wanted 5 oranges at $5 but now I need 10 oranges but I still want to only pay $5. Geesh!

You're cool! Way to go thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I would do the same thumbs_up.gif

Great example icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%