I'm Just Curious

Decorating By debbief Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 8:55am by sweettreat101

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 13

I hope I'm posting in the right area icon_redface.gif . I have to start by saying I'm a hobby caker and I don't sell cakes. Took me awhile to get up the nerve to ask, but I'm curious what you professionals out there may think. I've cooked and baked for years but I've only been really decorating cakes since about March of this year. I just made these cakes for my grandkids for their birthdays, and while they're not quite professional quality, I think I'm getting better. Someday if I can actually afford to quit my real job, I'd LOVE to do cakes for a living...so much more fun than office work icon_biggrin.gif . So if you wouldn't mind taking a look at this pic and tell me if it's worthwhile for me to aim for this goal and practice hard or if I should just stick to hobby caking. And don't worry, I've read lots of these threads, I know plenty of you will be brutally honest. That's what I'm looking for. I've also posted better quality pics in my album if you want a closer look. Oh and "FYI" I got permission to copy the kitty cake design. Thanks so much for any feedback icon_smile.gif
LL

12 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

And don't worry, I've read lots of these threads

Then I assume you know you should first check into the legalities of selling cakes from home and it's also illegal to sell cakes with copyrighted characters on them, unless you bought a decopac kit or some other kind of toy to place on a themed cake.

Other than that the cakes look good. I would just suggest scouring the business thread and research what it takes to run a business, not just the legalities too. Long hours, hard work, etc.

debbief Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

And don't worry, I've read lots of these threads

Then I assume you know you should first check into the legalities of selling cakes from home and it's also illegal to sell cakes with copyrighted characters on them, unless you bought a decopac kit or some other kind of toy to place on a themed cake.

Other than that the cakes look good. I would just suggest scouring the business thread and research what it takes to run a business, not just the legalities too. Long hours, hard work, etc.

You've assumed correct. I've checked into the legalities of selling cakes from home. Can't do that in my state and I don't plan on it. I know it's illegal to sell cakes with copyrighted characters on them. Believe me, I've read these threads. I'm not just planning to go out and open my own business. I'm not that naive. I would probably start out by finding a place that may take me on as an apprentice or something. That's why I said someday, if I can afford to quit my office job. I've actually put a lot of thought into this. Trust me I know about the hard work. I know there's a business side to it. Thank you for your feedback icon_smile.gif .

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 13

Well, I would be surprised if you could not find a job using your photos. I think the question is can you afford to quit your day job (so to speak). Check and see what an apprentice makes in your area and see if you can afford the switch.

What the heck, life is short, go for it.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 13

Debbie,

Your photos are really good. You have a keen eye for colors and designs. Your work is clean and well done. I think you certainly could make a place for yourself in the world of cake decorating, and I think if it's a dream of yours, then you should pursue it if it is at all possible.

If you can't do it professionally, I hope you'll keep at it as a hobby because I know your grandkids are going to have such awesome memories of the cool cakes their Grandma made for them over the years! And, one or two of them might get bitten by the bug and you'll have little proteges.

Good luck in your endeavors.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 13

Your cakes are cute and, as the OP said, your work is very clean. I'd say go for it and keep working on cakes. You never know what might come along. And your grandkids are very lucky that their grandma makes them such great birthday cakes!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #7 of 13

I agree with the others...obviously you have a great place to start your career. There are some technique things you could learn but hey, CC is the place to go to learn that stuff..but it looks like you have the stuff to take a giant leap in the right direction. Keep practicing...maybe get some dummy's and start treating everyone you know to free cakes so you get more experience? Between this place and YouTube, my skill level has flown upwards...I'm sure you'll find it invaluable!

Cat

debbief Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #8 of 13

Thank you all for your feedback. I guess I just wanted to make sure I had what it took to go in that direction before dedicating too much time on the "business" aspect of it. I know there is a lot to consider and it may be too late in my career life to even go there icon_redface.gif . I'm really not that old but I know there's a lot to consider.

Quote:
Quote:

I think the question is can you afford to quit your day job (so to speak)

Absolutely not. I wish icon_sad.gif But maybe I can consider keeping my day job and doing something part time just to "get my foot in the door" and get some real life professional experience.

Quote:
Quote:

If you can't do it professionally, I hope you'll keep at it as a hobby

I will definately keep it as a hobby. It's way too much fun not too icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Keep practicing...maybe get some dummy's and start treating everyone you know to free cakes so you get more experience? Between this place and YouTube, my skill level has flown upwards...I'm sure you'll find it invaluable!

I thought about getting dummies but I think part of the thing I need practice on is getting sharp corners and no blowouts. And so far I've had enough requests that I can practice on the real thing. People like free cake icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone, your feedback helps more than you know.

debbief Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #9 of 13

Oh yeah I forgot to mention...this site has been invaluable to me. I've learned more than I ever imagined I would. So glad I found this site. There are so many knowledgeable and talented people who generously take the time to teach and expain things. I would never be at a place where I would even consider this if I hadn't learned so much from you all! icon_biggrin.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #10 of 13

debbief -- I looked at your pics and I think you are closer than you think! Your characters are excellent too! Have fun! I'm going to retire in a 5 or 6 years and would love to have a cake partner like you!

debbief Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

debbief -- I looked at your pics and I think you are closer than you think! Your characters are excellent too! Have fun! I'm going to retire in a 5 or 6 years and would love to have a cake partner like you!

Aw thanks, you're just the kind of partner I would need. icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #12 of 13

I looked at your pics and you do some wonderful work. Keep at it, you will only get better and better. Maybe someday we'll see you on a cake challenge. You have a great eye for colour and design. Keep caking, this is and art. I wish you all the best in what ever you decide to do. icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:55am
post #13 of 13

Your cakes are awesome. The characters are perfect. The only thing I can see is some bulging under the fondant on the tiers not sure if it just need a little smoothing or extra support. Like someone else said one day maybe we will see you on cake challenge. I used to chat with Rebecca Sutterby before she became famous. Her cakes are amazing. Keep up the awesome work and if it's what you would like to do for a career then go for it. I myself wouldn't be able to handle the long hours. And second I hate making wedding cakes. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%