Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By MissSuper Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm by brincess_b

MissSuper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSuper Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 4

Someone wants the estimate of making the attached cake for her wedding. She wants a fruit cake. She may go with a 7", 10" and 12" (3 tiers) I am not sure how to approach this design. If given the job, this will be my first wedding cake.
She is not sure of what is buttercream or fondant. I give her examples and let her know what ever she chooses the price will vary. She wants the exact cake and is only able to provide that picture which is not at all angles (this is the only picture she can find). Also she is not sure if she wants artificial, gum paste of fresh roses (any suggestions - do people use artificial flowers on wedding cakes?) I was told that some types of fresh flowers are not safe to use on cake. What about roses?
I was thinking about charging her between 2800-3000 hundred dollars equivalent to 465-500 US dollars and 2600-2800 hundred dollars for the fondant and buttercream respectively
Any ideas/suggestions on creating this cake and how to achieve white buttercream
LL

3 replies
MissSuper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSuper Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 4

Also, does this cake look familiar to anyone - like more pictures would help

Thanks

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 4

I think you would do better to convince her that she needs the cake covered in fondant with a layer of almond paste/marzipan underneath. A fruit cake frosted with buttercream is not very nice tasting at all! For the piping work I would use royal icing on the fondant.
You can use artificial flowers no problem, or you could figure out how long it would take you to make enough gumpaste ones and charge accordingly. I know there is a list online of poisonous flowers but I don't have the link, maybe someone will post it for you and you can see if roses are on it. In any case you might not want to have them touching the actual cake because of pesticides etc. But I'm sure someone will come along soon with more wisdom than me on the subject icon_wink.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 4

i will second the marzipan and fondant - bc doesnt go with fruit cake. you could use marzipan and royal icing, but i would definatly advise plenty of practice, as getting smooth ri is not easy.
i would also use ri to pipe the details.

you will need to educate this bride. the cake she wants an exact copy of i would say is butter cream. and its a bit much to expect an exact copy (which is unlikeoy to happen even if you had made that exact cake before) is even less likely to happen when she doesnt even have a proper picture! so make sure your contract includes a bit about not being able to perfectly duplicate a cake and make her sign it!

gumpaste roses will cost a lot of money - although you may be able to buy them cheaper than you can make them - and id encourage the bride on the gumpaste. fake flowers can look good, if you buy the right ones. real flowers can be used, but even if organic, still shouldnt really touch the cake.

(as for achieving white bc, you need a crisco based recipe and clear vanilla)
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%