Not Enough Time......

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm by Tclanton

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 11

My Mother emailed me yesterday at 4:45 needing a cake by 7:00pm on Friday - well, I work full time which limits what I can do when. Time really isnt the issue, the issue is I have little to nothing to go on. The cake is for a friend (male), in his late 50's. They all hang out together at a singles club, and he likes antique cars. He is relocating to another state for work purposes.

Any ideas? Cake just needs to be small, so I am doing 2 8' rounds.

Thanks in advance.

10 replies
adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 11

Does he happen to have a favorite antique car? If so, maybe you could do a small replica on the cake with a FBCT. Other than that I'm not sure what you should do. Good luck!

Tclanton Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 11

Yes - he has an 83 Cougar, but I stink at sculpting - just havent done enough of it. I have no idea where to go with this one at all.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 11

i think adamsmom was saying to do an image on the cake with the frozen buttercream transfer (FBCT) process. there is an article on how to here on the site and it's an easy way to get an image done.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 11

What I would probably do in the same situation is go find a cookie cutter in the shape of an old car and cut out a fondant car to go on the top of the cake and decorate that with some black cutout wheels, etc.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 11

I like the cookie cutter idea - most people wouldn't care that it's not 100% accurate.
Maybe a suitcase cake, with the state bird/ pie/ flag etc.
Or just the regular stand bys, stripe, retro dots, balloons.
xx

Tclanton Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everone for the ideas - I am just gonna have to wing it with no more notice than I have had. Not a lot of time for seek and find at the stores at all. I am sure that my Mom will be happy regardless.

Tclanton Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 11

Well, this cake is done and in my photos (black stripes). The topper isnt on yet, but will be before Mom takes it up the road this evening. The blue border represents his passion for wearing blue jeans, the black stripes are the asphalt and the yellow is the yellow lines on the highway. Then the caution sign that states, "we will miss you."

Thanks for looking.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 11

It came out very well!

Tclanton Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you Elcee!

Tclanton Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 11

Finished photo in my pics - my Mom loved the cake and it went over well. Thank you for all the inspiration! Have a great day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%