6" Tall Cake Layer Need Internal Support?

Decorating By leannrr Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 4:30am by bmoser24

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #1 of 6

If I'm making a 6" tall layer (2",2",2") do I need a cardboard between the second and third 2" cake with supports?

5 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 6

Personally, I'd torte each layer to make 6 layers of cake. Then I'd fill 3 layers, and put in dowels/straws, then a cardboard, and then stack and fill the top three layers. Then ice or whatever. You have (2) 3-layer "tiers" to serve that way.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #3 of 6

I've made 6" tall cakes before and just stacked 3, 2"layers on top of each other. All the "box" cakes I've done r stacked 3 high.

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 6

sugarfrosted- that's a good thought, but wouldn't my cake end up taller than 6"?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Personally, I'd torte each layer to make 6 layers of cake. Then I'd fill 3 layers, and put in dowels/straws, then a cardboard, and then stack and fill the top three layers. Then ice or whatever. You have (2) 3-layer "tiers" to serve that way.

This is really the kind way to do it for the people who will serve and eat it. 6" tiers are tough to cut and stay together and are generally too long for standard dessert plates.

The rule of thumb is to have support for each 4" of vertical height. If you have a moist cake and fillings, maybe fondant, it gets pretty heavy over 4 inches. In the way described above, no one gets the "short" pieces..............

HTH
Rae

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

This is really the kind way to do it for the people who will serve and eat it. 6" tiers are tough to cut and stay together and are generally too long for standard dessert plates.
The rule of thumb is to have support for each 4" of vertical height. If you have a moist cake and fillings, maybe fondant, it gets pretty heavy over 4 inches. In the way described above, no one gets the "short" pieces..............

HTH
Rae

Good advice , Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%