Fondant On Whipped Icing?

Decorating By bakin4u_N_lovinit Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm by sugalips

bakin4u_N_lovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 12

I am doing a Laptop cake for my granddaugher and her mom says she wants whipped icing with the fondant on top of it, will that be ok
and how do i get the fondant around corners.... this will only be my 3rd fondant cake

PLEASE HELP

11 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #2 of 12

From past experience... I found even using store bought icing - it didn't stick well to the cake (This is if you are peeling the fondant off) Otherwise I think it will be ok - I know the wilton buttercream sold in stores and homemade works best with fondant.. from what i've been taught.
To put the fondant on the cake corners - Just keep lifting and smoothing the fondant... be patient and it will look fabulous! lol Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 12

Not unless it's a "non dairy" type of whipped topping like bEttercream. A whipped cream type icing will melt (dissolve) your fondant.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 12

Swiss meringue buttercream would work. I've used that under fondant a number of times and it works really well...it has the whipped texture and a not-so-sweet taste.

bakin4u_N_lovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #5 of 12

the whipped topping i was going to use is the wilton stuff it is milk based
Does anyone know how to make bettercream? i have been looking for a recipe everywhere and cant find it..or even where you can buy it

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #6 of 12

You can buy it at your local cake decorating store.. they should sell a variety of buttercream icings, wilton, duff.. (thats the only ones I can find in Toronto)
If you google buttercream icing recipe one will surely show up!
Butter, icing sugar, crisco, and water + flavor. Make sure it is a thin consistency to ice the cake - a 1/4 tsp of water per cup of icing.
A lot of recipes online call for milk - but I use water.
here is one http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/buttercream-icing/Detail.aspx
But there are a ton more that you may like better!

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 12

I use SMBC for 99% of my cakes with or without fondant. The fondant cakes have never posed a problem for me. I use it year round so even in the summer in Southern California its a recipe that works for me. And I find that the SMBC is simple to make in comparison to the Italian or French Buttercreams.

MJoycake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #8 of 12

From other posts I have read here, bettercream will not work under fondant...there's too much moisture in the bettercream icing and the fondant absorbs it.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #9 of 12

I have read that as well. But like I stated I use almost exclusively the Swiss Meringue under all my fondant cakes and I place them in the fridge over night before deliver and I have not had any problem (knocking on wood right now). There is a bit of condensation build up on the cake right out of the fridge in the summer, but I let it sit to acclimate itself before I transport it, then its fine.

MJoycake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 12

Yes, cr8zchpr, Swiss meringue works just fine under fondant, it's the whipped Bettercreme (different than buttercream, it's a brand name)...it has too much liquid moisture and causes fondant to go soft and wilt or melt.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 12

I'm correcting myself...to say bUttercream OK....bEttercream NOT OK...for using under fondant. Sorry if I steered someone wrong...LOL....I should not be on cc when I'm sleepy.

I DO agree with the other posters about the SMBC. I have used it under fondant several times.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 12

This just happened to me: fondant on bUttercream: OK. Fondant on bEttercream: NO!!! Thanks to the tips from all CCers!! See thread on "not knowing as much as I thought about fondant"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%