Contracts For Cakes That You Are Not Selling?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 1:45am by kansaslaura

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 2

I am a hobby baker, and all of the cakes in my gallery have been for my kids or my friends, as gifts or for fun. A friend of mine is having a small wedding ... literally, a small ceremony, since her dad recently passed away and she is not going to have a large reception. She asked if I would make her the cake, and though I would not sell it to her (I am not licensed and am not doing this as a business), I thought of giving it to her for her wedding.
So my question, silly as it may be, is the following: If I am to make her a wedding cake as a gift, which would be small enough (she'll only have family and a circle of friends, for sure under 50 people), would there still be value in establishing a contract? Not for payment, obviously; but maybe a written agreement that details servings, decoration, flavors and such? Just trying to figure the best way to protect myself and my friendship from one of those absent-minded bridezilla-esque moments that my dear friend (much as I love her) may still be prone to have. Or would I be going way overnoard and sounding tactless and callous by suggesting it?
By the way, this will be held at her mother's house, so there is no issue with the venue not allowing home-baked cakes or anything along those lines. Thanks for any insight!

1 reply
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 2

I really don't see a need for a contract, but that's me. I'd sit down with her with a notebook and get all the details--and maybe just have her inital everything as she agrees it's what she wants.

A contract is to protect us legally and since you're not exchanging money, and this is a gift I don't think there is anything to protect either party from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%