What Is Best/safest Way To Seal Homemade Cake Stand (Photo)?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm by Franluvsfrosting

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 20

My dad made me this beautiful square wooden cake stand and painted it with latex semi-gloss paint.

I need to finish with some sort of sealer...don't I?
I am afraid my buttercream will leave grease stains if I don't.
Normally I would just use a clear laquer, but i am worried that this might not be ok since food may come into contact with it (or should i not worry since my cakes are on boards).

Any recommendations or advice? I want to get this puppy done so i can use it icon_smile.gif.

Diane

19 replies
drakegore Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 20

i don't know why the photo didn't post, but here it is again:
LL

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 20

If you place you cake on cardboard first you won't have to worry about the cake coming in contact with the painted surface. The cardboard would also protect the surface of the cakestand when the cake is being cut.

BTW the stand is very nice.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #4 of 20

food grade polyurethane -- the same stuffed used in restaurants to seal wood tables

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 20

Doug is correct. It won't change the look of your stand and will seal it so you don't need to worry about food coming in contact with it. My DH has been a custom woodworker for over 20 years and has used this stuff quite a bit. In fact, he made me a cake stand and sealed it for me. It's been a very popular stand. (It's in my photos somewhere if you want to see it. ) icon_smile.gif

ocfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ocfrank Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:17am
post #6 of 20

Beautiful cake stand. thumbs_up.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:41am
post #7 of 20

Great Job on the stand. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:40am
post #8 of 20

Diane, that is a beautiful cake stand. I just had mines made too--very similar to yours. Thanks for asking this question, now I would need to get that sealer!

drakegore Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:26am
post #9 of 20

Thank you all!
I'll start calling around and see if i can find it!
Diane

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:41am
post #10 of 20

Does anyone know if I sould find this at Menards or Home Depot ect?
My dad made me some Dough Boards for cookie rolling and such and I want to seal them.

drakegore Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 20

i've been scouring the internet and found all kinds of stuff that at first looks like the food grade polyurethane topcoat i need, but isn't or i'm hitting dead ends. it sounded so simple to find icon_smile.gif.

before i make another attempt, does anyone ALREADY know where to get this?

thanks you!
diane

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 20

http://www.psiurethanes.com/polyurethane_products/food_grade_urethanes.html

Diane,

This is one place that I found.
They might be able to tell you where it is available in your area.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 20

We just bought ours at Home Depot. Call and ask if they carry it.

drakegore Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #14 of 20

thanks hobbybaker for the psi link, i had found them but missed the food grade polys as they were listed dead last on the product page. it looks like they pretty much sell to retailers, but i bet your right, they can steer me in the right direction!

fran, you are lucky! lowe's and home depot were the first place i tried, but they have nothing here for food grade except butcher block conditioner. i smiled when you saw your hometown, granite falls (robe valley) is one of my favorite places in the world.

diane

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #15 of 20

I have a question...is there a difference in polyeurathane, the can says can be used on countertops, etc and "food grade" poly? I went to Lowe's and they looked pretty clueless when i asked for food grade poly.

Thanks

drakegore Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #16 of 20

i just abbreviated polyeurathane to poly because it is a pain in the behind to spell icon_smile.gif

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 20

I was abbreviating it too. Still is there a special poly that is considered "food grade"?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 20

Beautiful job.....I love square bases....you have a bit of a lip on the stand......have a piece of glass or plexi glass cut to fit...you can remove it for washing. You could even have a piece of mirror cut which would give another look to your finished cake....

drakegore Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 20

there is a lip, but it isn't very pronounced. my dad and i discussed getting glass AFTER he built it as a way to protect it, lol, but the lip would end up being flush with the glass...which is ok, but not the first design look i wanted icon_smile.gif. if we had to build it again, for sure we would make the lip a bit higher and go with glass. if i can't get my hands on the food grade poly at a reasonable price, then we'll go with glass and just have a different look than i first imagined.

diane

Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

there is a lip, but it isn't very pronounced. my dad and i discussed getting glass AFTER he built it as a way to protect it, lol, but the lip would end up being flush with the glass...which is ok, but not the first design look i wanted icon_smile.gif. if we had to build it again, for sure we would make the lip a bit higher and go with glass. if i can't get my hands on the food grade poly at a reasonable price, then we'll go with glass and just have a different look than i first imagined.

diane

Could you check with a local cabinet shop? They don't use food grade on the cabinets obviously but they do sometimes on islands. At the very least they might be able to direct you to someplace that does carry it. They have all kinds of suppliers.

And it's nice to have someone actually know where I am! Even in our state a lot of people have no idea where GF is! It's really beautiful here today too! Blue skies and sunshine! My chickens are thrilled! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%