Cracked My Sheet Cake...help!

Decorating By iLVbkng Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm by iLVbkng

iLVbkng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iLVbkng Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 6

I am pretty new to all of this so please excuse me if this sounds like a stupid question. I am baking my sheet cakes today to freeze then ice etc later but while wrapping in saran wrap and foil one of the sheet cakes cracked. It seems pretty much together now but not sure if its just because I wrapped it so quickly.

My question is since its cracked do I need to make a whole new cake? It is one of two sheet cakes layers for the bottom of my castle cake. If I freeze it then ice it, then fondant it will it be ok? Or can it make the castle fall apart?

Any guidance will be GREATLY appreciated!! This cake is for my daughters 3rd birthday. TIA!!

5 replies
pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 6

I'm no expert and haven't been doing cakes that long, but I have had them break. Once I ice them, no one can tell. Now, as far as being structurally strong, I'm not sure I know the answer for you. Maybe someone else will pipe up.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 6

If it is a small piece on the edges then it may cause problems. If it is a crack down the middle, you can use it.

Did your cake happen to have a hump on the top of it, which would have been down when you filled it out of the cake pan?

iLVbkng Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 6

thank you!!! It is a crack down the middle, not in the corner so I guess I can use it!!! icon_smile.gif yay!
Texas Sugar I did not see a hump on top, is that something to look for?

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 6

I flipped a cake in a hurry the other day and totally broke the 14" square in half (oops!). For a brief second I contemplated baking a new one... then I thought, naw, I'll just "glue" it back together with icing. Worked like a charm! I don't make a habit of doing that, but with three kids 4 and under (including a newborn) time to re-bake was not an option. Needless to say, I don't think you have to worry about your crack icon_wink.gif

iLVbkng Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 6

thank you Cindy619!! I have a 3 month old and an almost 3 year old, dont know how you do it with 3 under 4!! OMG! your superwoman! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%