Seatbelt Saved My Cake!!!

Decorating By tsal Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, so it wasn't MY cake, but a cake I purchased. It's my son's birthday tomorrow and so I wanted to bake a cake for him to have at camp with his friends, but there is an egg-allergic child in the group. I have severe food allergies myself, and although I could have baked a cake without eggs, there have been hundreds of eggs in my mixer, in my pans, etc over the years and as careful as I am about cleaning, I would not take a chance when it comes to allergies as I understand more than most people that 'trace amounts' of an allergen can make someone REALLY sick!

So, I found a company that specializes in baked goods for allergic people. Their products are guaranteed egg-free, nut-free, shellfish free, dairy free (I forget the rest of the list but you get the idea).

I had to drive about a half hour or so to pick it up and the cake is frozen so I had to bring a cooler with me to keep it frozen. I brought along my biggest cooler but low and behold, it didn't fit. I had to turn the cooler on its side in the front passenger seat and arrange the ice packs around the cake. I was worried that the whole thing would slide if I had to come to an abrupt stop and the cake would get damaged, so I belted in the cooler - thank goodness I did because, as luck would have it, I did have to come to a short stop twice!

The cake arrived at my house with no issues and is ready to go tomorrow to camp! I felt a little funny having a cooler with a seat belt on next to me, and was hoping that I wouldn't get pulled over and have to explain it!

The only downside is that it is not personalized AT ALL with the birthday boy's name (they explained that they don't do that) and I can't use any of my stuff, so I guess he'll just have candles on it!

I am baking him a cake for tomorrow night's family party and that one will have his name on it. All in all - my son is getting lots of cake tomorrow!

5 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 6

That was SO thoughtful of you to want to include that child in your son's bday celebration! Especially since you went out of your way to get him a cake. Way to go on seatbelting your "passenger" in!

The only thing that came to mind would be using a powdered sugar stencil or a colored sugar stencil if you know those are allergen free to make a happy birthday message

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 6

Congrats on the great save! If it did this for a cake, just think of what seatbelts do to people! Yeah!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 6

How about making a "Happy Birthday" sign using a skewer and paper?

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 6

I've done that before. My cake holder fits perfectly in my daughter's booster seat, and then I belt it in. It's great to not have to worry about having it slide all over.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6

I was thinking about using paper and skewers. I think that's the safest route! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%