Crazy Bridezilla...what Went Wrong?!....customers Gone Wild!

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm by TexasSugar

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 45

Are these the only topics fellow CC members will only read anymore? What happened to sharing ideas, recipe's, photos, etc?

It seems to me that lately the only topics getting any responses involve drama. It's so sad....

I've noticed that topics such as recipe assistance are only getting 5 responses meanwhile "Crazy Bridezilla" topics get 579 responses...

Just my frustrated .02 on this matter.

44 replies
honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Are these the only topics fellow CC members will only read anymore? What happened to sharing ideas, recipe's, photos, etc?

It seems to me that lately the only topics getting any responses involve drama. It's so sad....

I've noticed that topics such as recipe assistance are only getting 5 responses meanwhile "Crazy Bridezilla" topics get 579 responses...

Just my frustrated .02 on this matter.

haha! I was noticing that too icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 45

so funny! I sometimes get sucked in too!! But yes, constructive recipe swaps, design ideas, etc are also nice to read too!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 45

Everyone loves drama! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

My amateur guess regarding the "usual" topics is that a large majority of members have seen that question over and over and over and are looking for more exciting things to read.

Which doesn't help the person who really needs an answer! But could explain why drama threads get more views.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 45

Now we know how to get people to read our posts... icon_twisted.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 45

i think it's a combination. i think that people have seen the same topics and questions over and over again and are maybe sick of answering the same thing over and over. but i don't blame the OP necessarily b/c i think the search function on this website could use some help. and i say that very constructively...it's just that this can be a tough website to navigate as far as searching a topic is concerned. even going through the pics isn't as easy to navigate as other sites. but i will say that this site has made me a better caker and i have learned so much!

and i will say that i learn a lot from the crazy customer/bridezilla topics too!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 45

[quote="Chasey"]Everyone loves drama! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

My amateur guess regarding the "usual" topics is that a large majority of members have seen that question over and over and over and are looking for more exciting things to read.

Which doesn't help the person who really needs an answer! But could explain why drama threads get more views.[/quote]

Perhaps the person who really needs an answer should do a Search first. Just sayin'.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 45

I decided the other day that I would look at the unanswered posts each day and try to make a comment on one or two! Some of the posts I am really clueless since I don't have a lot of experience. I also decided earlier today that I would do my best to stop commenting on the negative types of posts since I have no time in my life to keep up with all of that negativity!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 45

I think those crazy stories get read and replied to because they are like their own little reality show. You don't want to watch/read but you can't stop! I don't think some of the other posts may get as many replies because someone already answered the question that was asked. I don't think we need 500 people to tell the OP how to make/recommend MFF.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 45

Just saying, I have to agree with Babarooskie. I am one that will search for over an hour looking for an answer to a question and come up with nothing, knowing that the answer is out there because I've read it before but didn't need it at the time. It's kinda hard sometimes to come up with the right phrasing to search if you have questions on it to begin with.

I love this site and have learned a lot over the years just wish that sometimes the questions would be looked at as much as the drama.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 45

Leah makes a very good point thumbs_up.gif

I'll also add that I tend not to visit the recipe forum unless I am looking for something specific. So if someone is looking for help there I am not going to see it. I do visit the business, general and decorating forums every day so am more likely to respond to something there.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 45

I agree that the website search could be a little more user friendly. I learn so much from CC but I'm sure there's lots of things I've missed because I couldn't find them. I've posted only one question so far but no one ever answered it. How are the questions that are posted on the home page chosen? I am not very computer savvy so I'm sure that's a big part of the problem but are there any tips to make searching more successful? It is overwheming to look through such large categories of pictures and posts and I always get sidetracked when I find something interesting. CC is so addictive! Not complaining, just want to be able to take full advantage of what this great site has to offer!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Everyone loves drama! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Which doesn't help the person who really needs an answer! But could explain why drama threads get more views.

Perhaps the person who really needs an answer should do a Search first. Just sayin'.

Standing Ovation!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 45

Well, atleast every Bridezilla is a little different...

but "how much should I charge" never changes.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 45

If all I had to do here was answer, "can a fondant cake be refrigerated?" over and over and over..I'd stop visiting. We should be grateful for the entertaining, dramatic and informative balance that keeps the people with the answers to the questions coming back.

And you can learn an awful lot about cakes and the cake business by reading threads about things that went wrong and situations folks dealt with. If all I wanted was recipes, I'd buy a cookbook.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Leah makes a very good point thumbs_up.gif

I'll also add that I tend not to visit the recipe forum unless I am looking for something specific. So if someone is looking for help there I am not going to see it. I do visit the business, general and decorating forums every day so am more likely to respond to something there.

Instead of going to each forum, you can simply select to see posts since your last visit (on the top right).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 45

Besides, how many answers can there be to "I need a recipe for a good buttercream". I've popped in to threads like this. Saw that mamasrobin (who usually beats me to it!) has already said, "Try IndyDebi's!" so I move out. Does it REALLY add to the discussion if I also post, "Yeah, try mine."? QUestion asked ..... question answered. What are you looking for? icon_confused.gif

But Bridezilla stories? Heck, we've ALL got years of experience dealing with THOSE!

It's not really a fair question to ask why recipe requests (just using an example, here) get fewer responses than bridezilla rants. They are two totally different types of conversation. The recipe request is when I get up to walk to the teacher's desk and ask for help on a problem. I ask ... she answers .... I go away.

The 'zilla thread is when we girls are sitting around the kitchen table with coffee and cheesecake (think Golden Girls!) sharing stories about our husbands (which in my house we call "Stupid Husband Stories!), our kids and our problem clients. All of us talk .... all of us share .... and someone makes a 2nd pot of coffee.

Not really fair to compare these types of threads. Not at all.
----------------
edited for a couple of typos.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:11pm
post #18 of 45

Indydeb is right on the money! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Besides, the search button is not very useful; at least it hasn't worked the few times I've tried it.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Besides, the search button is not very useful; at least it hasn't worked the few times I've tried it.

HEre's a thread on how to search: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=682417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=search&&start=30

Don't use the search tab at the top of the page. Go into forums tab and use the search field that is UNDER the tabs. MUCH better. I never use the search tab at the top of the screen and I have pretty much zero problems finding what I need.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #20 of 45

Awesome, Indydeb! Thanks!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 45

And I'll add this... how the heck should I know how much you should charge for a cake when I don't know where you live, what the 'going rate' is around your area, etc. etc. etc. I hardly know what I should charge. icon_rolleyes.gif

And while I agree that answering those questions is important, it's the other stuff that makes us a family. Sharing our grief, frustrations, joys, sorrows, etc. That bonds us together, even when we disagree.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #22 of 45

Go into the Google advanced search;
put your search term (for example) MMF in the box;
in search within site or domain put cakecentral.com
then hit the button.

Works in the image search too.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #23 of 45

Indydebi and Melvira are right on point!

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinroses

It's kinda hard sometimes to come up with the right phrasing to search.....

If you are searching by using a "phrase", that could be part of the problem. The fewer words the better unless you are using internet search rules by using AND or EXCEPT, etc. See my link above on examples of such this very thing and why using a "phrase" of cake cutting comb will give 10,000 results but using a "word" of comb with an author name of indydebi will narrow this down to 26 results.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

And I'll add this... how the heck should I know how much you should charge for a cake when I don't know where you live, what the 'going rate' is around your area, etc. etc. etc. I hardly know what I should charge. icon_rolleyes.gif

And while I agree that answering those questions is important, it's the other stuff that makes us a family. Sharing our grief, frustrations, joys, sorrows, etc. That bonds us together, even when we disagree.

oops sorry bout that Mel. when i asked you that the one day i was just wondering your opinion lol.

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

oops sorry bout that Mel. when i asked you that the one day i was just wondering your opinion lol.

Aw come on, I was just using that as an example. icon_lol.gif If you TELL me those details, then I CAN usually help! Or at least tell you what I do. When I know, that is! icon_rolleyes.gif But you know what I'm saying. thumbs_up.gif

GenGen Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #27 of 45
Quote:

But you know what I'm saying. thumbs_up.gif

Huh? (darn no halo icons lol)

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #28 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

What... you don't GET talking in circles? You know, what I mean when I mean what I meant that you'd mean how it meant to come out, know what I mean? Crystal...clear... icon_lol.gif

GenGen Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #29 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What... you don't GET talking in circles? You know, what I mean when I mean what I meant that you'd mean how it meant to come out, know what I mean? Crystal...clear... icon_lol.gif

Ding! this has been a recording. had this been an actual warning a message would be following letting you know your an idiot! lol (meaning me lmao)

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #30 of 45

thought i would add my pet peeve of a post ..... drum rolllllll please.......

how do i make fondant shiney?

sometimes i get a little tired answering and posting on the same ol' questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%