Making Alice In Wonderland Caterpillar's Arms?

Decorating By valbos22 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 4:47am by zespri

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hello old friends, time for my bi-annual cake endeavor! I am making a topsy turvy cake with the Alice in Wonderland theme for my girl's birthday. I started making the Caterpillar out of fondant last night and I am stuck on his arms! How would you recommend I make them? Here is the picture I am using...
LL

3 replies
carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 4

I've never made a figure but here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I would make a tapered cone shape (ie: tapered candles, incense cones)
and bend them to a point in the middle for the elbow...if that doesn't work...make the same cone shape..and cut it at a diagonal near the middle then put them back together with glue.

HTH

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 4

Thats cute, I have not made anything like this either, but how about getting a small wire and going through the arm while straight, then bend it to position? Seems like it would work, but never tried. Good luck

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 4

I just checked my cake book, and it pretty much said "bend and pinch". It also said to form a sort of 'peg' at the top of the arm, which you would insert into the body with the adhesive icing of your choice.

I've never done it, but you could also try doing the forearm and upper arm separately, and joining them with a ball for an elbow? It would require some finessing after it was all together of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%