Urgent: How To Make 3D Ten-Pin Bowling Pins (2.5" Hig

Decorating By aizuodangao Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 9:32am by tinygoose

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:57am
post #1 of 5

I bought some miniature champagne bottles from the junk store. and i was hoping to cover these with fondant and place 10 or these on my bowling cake. But I think the covering will probably not look neatl

IS there any way I can use these champagne bottles as templates to create 10 identical bottles (fondant only without having these plastic bottle inside)? I don't have silicone mould and am press for time to do this. These are to be placed on top of the cake.

Also, since I don't have air brush machine, how do i get the PROFESSIONAL clean look in my cakes? I will be using dark colours and don't want the dusting icing sugar to show in the finished product. I assume spray bottle isn't fine enough for that; i hate to have soggy cake.

Any advise/tips will be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:24am
post #2 of 5

i think you will just need to eye ball it. start with a smooth ball of fondant (although id add some gumpaste or something to help make it stronger/ dry) and just gentle push and pull it into shape.

i think you could use the candles inside, you might just have a seam at the back, although you can blend seams - for example, hide it with some royal icing or use trex.

you could try rolling out your fondant on vegetable fat instead of powdered sugar. some people use cocoa for dark colours as its not so noticeable. if you have a very fine mister, you can spray the cake with vodka. or use a ball of fondant to go over the cakes surface, it can help to pick up any excess.
xx

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:16am
post #3 of 5

Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

A bowling pin is just a cone shaped piece of fondant (I'd add some tylose, or use 50/50 fondant gumpaste) with a shaped neck, and rounded bottom. To make them all even, weight the first one to know how much fondant/gumpaste to use on the others.

Easy peasy, shape them, stand them up to dry just like you would a bowling pin. If they have trouble keeping their shape cut a skewer down and stick it up through the bottom, reshape, let dry, paint.

To get rid of cornstarch marks use a little vodka (yeah airbrush is best) but I've done it with a DAMP paintbrush. Vodka dries faster than water. FINE, stress the fine part, mist spray bottle, held back about 12" might work if it's an all over problem. Vodka dries flat.

aizuodangao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aizuodangao Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:22am
post #4 of 5

wow, you are both 'Awesome' brincess-b and tinygoose! thank you!!!!

Yes, you're right. In my stressful state, I am trying to do things which are too complicated and didn't even think about the easier options. LOL. Ah, I feel much better now!! Now that I can visualise what I am going to do, I feel much better now.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:32am
post #5 of 5

We always make it harder on ourselves than we have to. I still do this today, and have to stop and think ok...what is the basic shape I need to start from.

Bronwen Weber (took a great class from her) told us everything starts as a ball, a sausage, or a cone....don't make it more complicated than it has to be...they will never appreciate all the time you put into it. Its so true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%