Marshmallow Fondant Disaster

Baking By Geechigirl Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:18am by hilly

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #1 of 10

I made MMF for the first time and it was the worst! It was dry and did not roll out well. It was not stretchy at all.

What did I do wrong? I used 1 package of small marshmallows, 2 pounds powered sugar, and 2 TBS of water.

9 replies
katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 10

How much crisco did you use? How long did you knead it? Did you knead it by hand or with a mixer?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 10

Did you add all of the PS? It is best to reserve about 1 cup until after the rest period. Only use it if it is too soft and sticky. If it is firm you may not need to add it.

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 10

ditto to what dsilvest said.. don't use all the PS, you just add a little at a time until its the right consistency icon_smile.gif

SweetsDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsDecor Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 10

I'm surprised! My MMF is usually TOO sticky and have to end up adding way more PS or mixing in a little gum paste or SI to stiffen it up a bit.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 10

Ditto to above. I also add a little bit of clear vanilla extract.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 10

I used a mixer and I did add vanilla.

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 10

but what about crisco? everything i've read says that tons of crisco is a must. everytime i make MMF, the crisco and kneading is what softens it up so it won't tear and such.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 10

Here is the order I do it...

16 ox mini marshmallows in greased bowl to melt in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.

Stir with greased spatula, add vanilla.

Grease mixing bowl. Add marshmallow mix. use a greased dough hook. Slowly add PS and water.

It took me a couple of times before mine came out nice. Don't give up and try another batch.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #10 of 10

Did you use the 10oz package of mini marshmallows or the 16oz.? Also, I almost never use a full package of powdered sugar and I always add vegetable shortening and maybe a tsp of water while melting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%