Ribbon On Bc

Decorating By mommaz Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm by Debcent

mommaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaz Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 11

I have a request to make a 2 tier cake and they want it covered in BC but they would like a pink ribbon going around it....so my question is how do I do this with out the icing "leaking" throught it? icon_confused.gif

10 replies
JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 11

I did one recently with a bright pink ribbon. I got the ribbon from Wal-Mart and I'm so sorry I can't remember the name of it but it's in the craft section and comes in quite a few colors. It's wrapped in celephane and hanging up. It works beautifully. HTH.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #3 of 11

I wrap a lot of cakes with ribbon over bc, and have found that the cheap ribbon works the best. Grosgrain (the stuff that looks ribbed) does about the best, and otherwise, the darker the color, the less you'll see a color change if the grease from the icing discolors it. For brighter colors, just make sure you put the ribbon on plenty early that the Crisco or butter has time to "soak" into the whole ribbon so it doesn't look blotchy.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 11

If you wait to put the ribbon on last when the cake has had alot of time to crust it should be ok. I do it all the time. I usually let the cake sit overnight and the next morning put the ribbon on. No bleeding of grease.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 11

Wait until it crusts and use less silky type ribbons. I agree that the ribbon with a slight ribbed texture does well.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 11

I take crisco and rub it on the ribbon with my fingers before I place the ribbon on the cake. That way the ribbon won't take on any grease from the cake and be noticeable.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #7 of 11

So if you use all butter icing there is no helping the bleeding through? Uuuugghhh, this is why I always tell my brides to lets use fondant ribbon, but this bride for the end of July wants a very specific satin ribbon and I was hoping there was some magic trick to keep it from bleeding, I even thought about putting packaging tape on the reverse so there is a barrier... any thoughts?

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #8 of 11

I cant remember who said it but I read it on here when I had the same issue. The person said to run the ribbon through water then kind of run it through your fingers to remove excess water and stick it on the cake. I did it to the two cakes I had with buttercream and ribbon and it worked great! I didnt even have to use buttercream to stick the ends together, they just did icon_smile.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #9 of 11

The other suggestions I've read are to 1) back the ribbon with double-sided tape and then tape wax paper to that before laying on the cake, or 2) cut a ribbon of wax paper to match your ribbon, place the wax paper on the cake first and then lay the ribbon on top of it.

Running the ribbon under water and squeegeeing it out sounds easier, though.

mommaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #10 of 11

Thx for all the info guys!! thumbs_up.gif

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 11

sechrestloans, When you ran your ribbon under water, after it dried on the cake, Did your ribbon shrink any and cause any puckering?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%