Baby Christening Dress Cake

Decorating By MyraNC Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 1:24am by yummy

MyraNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyraNC Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 9

I've got a request for a Christening cake. The mother is wanting a model of the actual dress on a sheet cake. I suggested the sheet cake carved to the shape of the dress, but that is not what she is wanting. Of course the dress is white, and she is wanting the cake coved in pale pink icing with the dress on top. I have never done a FBT before, but I'm thinking about doing something simular. I had thought about spreading the FBT buttercream icing on a sheet of waxed paper, covering with another sheet and freezing. Then cutting the shape of the dress out of the frozen buttercream, placing it on the cake and piping the details. I would love you thoughts and opions on this. Do you think this will work?? Fondant is out of the question...I don't do fondant, not saying that I never would, but the mother has clearly stated no fondant. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

8 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 9

The way she wants it would look more realistic if the gown was made out of fondant; just remove before cutting the cake it doesn't have to be eaten.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1431522.html

MyraNC Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 9

That's just it, I'm a beginner and have never worked with fondant. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Thanks for your help.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 9

You should give it a try! It's not hard, and you can make your own very cheap, just google marshmallow fondant. I did a cake with a wedding dress on it, you can see what it looks like, but it looks sooooo much better than buttercream. I agree with Yummy, let the mother take it off.

MyraNC Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 9

What happened to what the customer wants?? Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick to my original plan and will post the outcome.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 9

Hmmmm, no offense meant. Good luck, I would be scared to make it! icon_wink.gif

yummy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #8 of 9

Yes you definitely want to give the customer what they want. Did you look in the galleries for christening gowns? All the ones I seen in bc where either carved or the dress in bc was not immediately clear to what it was; and I'm not saying that all the cakes with the bc dress on top were like that, because I didn't go through all the cakes but the ones I came across were. Maybe you can show the client a picture of a cake with a bc dress and one of a fondant and explain that it could be removed and doesn't have to be eaten. It's for her child's christening and if she has an actual visual of what she wants and another alternative her decision might shock you or us depending on which way she goes.

As far as fondant, don't be afraid. There are plenty of tips and advice here to help you through especially if you can spare a day or two to practice before the cake is due.

yummy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%