Best Butter Cream Icing For A Wedding Cake

Decorating By bshinton Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm by bshinton

bshinton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bshinton Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 6

I'm pretty much just starting out with decorating cakes, and have been ask to decorate my friends wedding cake. What is the best buttercream icing to use on a wedding cake? One that does good for piping and smooths really good. Thanks for any advice.

5 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 6

Look for Indydebi's buttercream and Sugarshack's buttercream on this website.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

Indydebi's bc or sugarshacks bc. Both crusts well so that you can get smooth. They're both excellent for high heat and humidity.

In mixer beat your cream for about 15 mins. on low/med. speed. Scraping down sides a few times.

For Indydebi's recipe, add flavoring, dream whip and hot liquid and mix well about 15 mins

Add powdered sugar and mix on med. speed for about 20 mins.

Indydebi's recipe calls for crisco but you could use hi ratio or a store brand shortening as long as it has transfat in it. Her recipe requires less shortening to powder sugar.

Sugarshacks recipe calls for hi ratio shortening but you can use brand name shortening. Her recipe uses equal cups of shortening and powder sugar.

Double Indydebi's recipe so that it will full up your mixing bowl and the beater is covered by the bc. The is based on Sugarshacks technique on making bc. You get no air bubbles this way. You should really check out her 'how to make buttercream tutorial" her name is Sharon Zambito. Do a search here for her buttercream tips.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 6

Her video is on Youtube.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 6

If you want an all butter recipe I use luvbuttercream's in the recipe section but I sub butter for the crisco portion. I've never made it with the shortening.

If you want shortening I love Indydebi's recipe, and I have made hers with half butter half shortening and it's great that way too!

bshinton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bshinton Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you ladies so much. I'm going to look up those recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%