Seriously?...a Sketch Of A Sheet Cake?

Business By sweetlayers Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 12:24am by Jayde

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 14

OK, for 2 weeks, I have been working with a lady (who is a marketing CEO of a major tv network), about a retirement cake for her mother. At first they wanted a 2-tiered cake that feeds 50 with fondant roses. The price was only $110. (Delivery included!) If they didn't want the fondant flowers, the price is only $85. I sent sketches, revised sketches, etc. Finally after she agreed, I sent the online invoice.

So last night, I checked my email, only to find the following..."we want to consider a sheet cake. Would you be able to send a few sketches?" icon_mad.gif

Seriously! It's a sheet cake! icon_evil.gif

I am so tired of wasting my time with with the stingy!

13 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 14

I don't provide sketches until they provide a deposit.

Time to nip this in the bud. You have already spent too much time on this person who isn't even a client yet.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 14

Agree. You only get to be a CEO of anything by showing how close you can trim a budget. Cut her loose.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 14

I'd tell her that for sheet cakes, you only let the customers send you sketches of what they want. I'm serious. I really do this with all my customers. If they don't tell me what they want on their sheet cakes, and send me a sketch with ideas, with the color choices, then I get free reign. I don't spend time doing a sketch for a freaking sheet cake.

sweetlayers Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks. I just needed to make sure I was not being difficult or hormonal! icon_smile.gif

Here was my response...

"Hi XXXX,

I don't typically send sketches for sheet cakes under $100. If you had something specific in mind, just let me know and I will make it happen.

You will only need the 11x15 sheet which provides 60 servings and costs only $62.00 with basic decorations. (Fondant flowers not included.)

As always, feel free to call."

I hope that was professional enough.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 14

PERFECT

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 14

[quote="sweetlayers"]

Seriously! It's a sheet cake! icon_evil.gif

quote]

<sigh>

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 14

That's far enough ladies. Didn't we decide last week there was no shame or stigma attached to the sheetcake? Just a big cake with a rather large profit margin. lolol.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 14

I don't it is an issue of the "sheet" part of the cake, but rather the $62 charge- and she wants a sketch.

I think the "world" record here that I read was a "tasting" (free , of course) for a $25 cake. thumbsdown.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 14

another answer for her.

the price per serving does NOT change with the shape of the cake.

tier or sheet - the price is the same.

sweetlayers Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

That's far enough ladies. Didn't we decide last week there was no shame or stigma attached to the sheetcake? Just a big cake with a rather large profit margin. lolol.

I have no issues at all with doing sheetcakes. I'd rather have that than nothing. As a matter of fact, I do sketches for them from time to time when needed.

My issue with this client was that she had used 2 weeks of my time asking about something she wasn't even going to get. She even requested the invoice which I promptly sent. I had been upfront with her about everything. I guess I was just irritated that she had not done the same.

However, thanks to CC I was able to handle this situation professionally which allowed me to keep my customer, (albeit for a smaller priced product), and my self respect. icon_smile.gif

sweetlayers Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

another answer for her.

the price per serving does NOT change with the shape of the cake.

tier or sheet - the price is the same.

Quick question for Doug:

If a sheet cake is only a single layered cake and a tiered cake is double layered and filled, do you charge the same price?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 14

yes.

a serving is a serving is a serving.

standard is 8 cubic inches.

so whether a single layer cut 2x2x2 or a double layer cut 1x2x4 the amount of cake is the same.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #14 of 14

Thats why I double stack and put filling in my sheet cakes, the serving size is always 1x2x4. That way there is NEVER any confusion about serving size or price. Sheet cake prices are the same as tiered cake prices and the serving size is exactly the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%