Can Someone Tell Me Why This Happened?

Baking By mrsc808 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm by mrsc808

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:55am
post #1 of 5

I baked a lemon cake (first time) this afternoon in 2 8" Magic Line round pan and used bake even strips. One cake baked up level and without a problem. The other browned too much, was level when I took it out of the oven, then sank into a crater. The okay cake baked on the bottom rack and the crater on the middle but I've baked this way before and never had this happen.

Do you think I can just cut the cake in two and use the bottom of it? I should have 1" of cake left and then just make my tier 3 layers instead of 4? As far as I can tell, it baked all the way through so I really don't know what happened. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:05am
post #2 of 5

hi, don,t know why your caked baked like this. But you sure can use the bottom half as you say, and have 3 layers . instead of 4. I have done this way plenty of times.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 5

You'll find out when you slice it horizontally if it baked all the way through, then you can decide to use it all or only the bottom half of it.

Is your oven not big enough to bake 2 8" cakes side by side without using the lower rack at the same time as the middle rack?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

Did you have the second one directly under the first?

If so, then my guess is that the cake was was blocked from some of the heat coming off the bottom of the oven. Have you torted it yet? Sinking after coming out of the oven can indicate under baking.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 5

TexasSugar, i did, to both questions. I also had them on cookie sheets because I was baking smaller cakes with it and was worried I had too much batter in the smaller ones. I did tort the sunk cake and was able to save the bottom.
I'll be more careful next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%