9" Cake With A 10" Round On A Tiered Cake??????

Decorating By cakesbykerri Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm by cakesbykerri

cakesbykerri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykerri Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 6", 9" and 12" tiered cake. I went to get cardboard rounds and they only had 6", 10" and 12". Can I use a 10" round for a 9" cake? Or, should I go to another store and try to find the 9" rounds????

5 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 6

Just cut the 10" round down to size. I guarantee it will be easier than trying to find a 9" round.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 6

I often have the wrong size boards, since I have to buy the packs of 5 or 6. I just trace the bottom of the cake pan, then cut a scant 1/4 " inside that line. Scissors work fine.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

Just cut the 10" round down to size. I guarantee it will be easier than trying to find a 9" round.

Yep...I agree..do they even make a 9" round? icon_lol.gif

I do the same as Icubed and cut mine with 1/4 " over so that the fondant or icing has a "shelf" to sit on. I cut my own boards quite often.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Yep...I agree..do they even make a 9" round?

Yep, quite a few suppliers have 9" round. Sometimes they only have grease-proof 9" in stock because they are used mainly for cheesecakes. (Try the Webstaurant Store, Cake Deco, & Bake Deco.)

I rarely use 9", but I somehow ended up with two free cases of them! They were given to me, I guess because they weren't yet punched completely from the rectangular boards. (3 per board, which filled two cases once they were removed from the excess.)

cakesbykerri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykerri Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%