Shining Water Effect??

Decorating By jessiq Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm by michel30014

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 12

I have seen several pictures of water that looks so real. How do you get that blue shining wet water look? Is it jello?

11 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 12

My guess would be piping gel.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

My guess would be piping gel.

Yes. That.

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 12

Hello. To make water i usually put down blue icing first then pour the Royal Blue Ready-To-Use Gel Tube on top of it and spread it around. Sometimes I will take a little of the Blue Sparkeling gel and add that to the other blue gel.

Hope this helps.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 12

I use piping gel with a bluish tint or bluish green if doing the ocean.

jessiq Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #6 of 12

Thank you all so much! I usually just use blue BC and don't smooth the water. But I'm doing a waterfall and wanted to try this instead.

I couldn't find anything describing it on CC. When I googled this I got a bunch of results that said they used jello. I didn't understand!

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #7 of 12

I did a river on a cake a couple of weeks ago and I tinted piping gel greenish. I used tan buttercream under the water. It was the first time I'd used it, and I was pretty pleased with how it came out. The idea of actually eating the gel is kind of yucky though - to me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 12

Piping gel or glucose.

attackofthecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
attackofthecakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:25am
post #9 of 12

Sometimes I feel doing a fondant covered cake, with icing or gel water, kind of takes me out of the piece. It just seams like two different mediums that don't seem like they go together. Does anyone else feel this way? So Let me know what you think of two that Ive done with water. The first one, I layed some fondant "waves" on the cake before I draped the white fondant on, I then used duffs green spray paint for some highlights, next I painted on blue luster dust mixed with vodka...I thought the effect worked well, I did a similar method on the pirate cake, except I just draped the fondant around the base.

attackofthecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
attackofthecakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:27am
post #10 of 12

well it doesn't look like my attachments went over, just click the photos button at the bottom of my post icon_biggrin.gif

jessiq Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 12

I like that. It looks great! That might work for my waterfall. The thought of eating piping gel is kind gross to me as well!

And by the way your cakes are amazing!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 12

Hi,

In the attached photo, I used blue bc first and then used a mix of blue piping gel and mixed in a touch of green glittery gel.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1717148.html

Check out the main photo but make sure you check out the other angles too, you might see the shine on it better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%