Candy Clay Too Soft........

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 6:44am by 3LittleBeesCookies

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 13

I made some candy clay yesterday. Recipe for 14 oz melts 1/3 C corn syrup cut in half. Clay was soft and still today is too soft to work with. Tried chilling it and using cornstarch but it's still way too soft. I melted down a few more candy melts and added them but now will have to wait til tomorrow again. Seems greasy right now. Setting on counter in a tupperware container with no lid. I let it set yesterday til it seemed somewhat dry but it was soft and I put it in a ziploc bag. What should I do? I did make a rose and a bud out of cherry tootsie rolls that came out pretty good so I can use those alone if need be but wondered about trying to use the clay.......... Any suggestions? So far I haven't had luck with candy clay. I tried to use white ones and it crumbled. Now this is too soft....

12 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #2 of 13

I can't actually help with your problem, sorry...

But, here's a post from one of my favorite blogs...the decorator (a CC member) seems to have had great success with an alternative clay recipe, which she links to...it's the one I'll be trying next time, since I had terrible results with a recipe almost identical to yours: http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/mothers-day-purses.html

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:04am
post #3 of 13

did u use the white melts? i found i had to use less corn syrup with the white melts. here's a recipe i found on the sugarcraft website. haven't tried it yet

1 lb white coating chocolate
Tint using candy colorings
1/2 cup glucose
2 teaspoons ice cold water
Gently melt coating. Stir in glucose and mix lightly. Add water. Stir together (don't overmix). Cover w/ plastic wrap and allow to ripen overnight. Next day knead well, cover, and allow to set overnight

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 13

Thank you so much....I'll check it out! I ended up adding some more melted melts....(redundant...LOL)

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #5 of 13

Flour Pots....do you mean the chocolate plastique? I was using pink melts....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #6 of 13

I make modeling chocolate/chocolate plastique/candy clay--all the same thing--using 14oz of chocolate/candy melts + 1/3 cup of light corn syrup.

I melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50%power in short bursts, stir, repeat, until 90% are melted and then stir until the rest melt. I add the corn syrup and stir until I get a dough. THEN I SQUEEZE OUT AS MUCH LIQUID AS POSSIBLE. By taking out so much fat, the clay is much more workable and isn't as vulnerable to heat. I then wrap it up to rest.

When I go to use it, I nuke it for a few seconds and it works extremely well.

HTH
Rae

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:22am
post #7 of 13

I made my first attempt at chocolate clay using white chocolate candy melts. I squeezed out so much liquid once it was all mixed and then let it sit overnight wrapped. However no matter what I tried, I couldn't touch it or handle it for more than a couple minutes at a time or it would begin to melt. I had to keep sticking it in the fridge every couple minutes. Not fun when you're tired late at night trying to get stuff done.

Last weekend I had molded a Superman figure to put flying over the top of my son's 1st birthday cake. Superman sat in the fridge for a week to become solid, but just minutes after placing him on top of the cake flying over the letters I made, you could see him starting to get soft and the body started drooping and then ultimately fell apart. Man, was I bummed. I am definitely going to be trying some of these new recipes! Now, what to do with the leftover chocolate clay in the fridge???

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:35am
post #8 of 13

Some people suffer from hot hands and working with modeling chocolate can be very trying. It may never really work for them.

If it was hot in when the figure was placed on the cake...............

I NEVER put modeling chocolate items in the fridge. Once they're made, I keep them at room temp.

The roses below were very thin and it was abnormally hot on the June day when it was delivered. As you can see, they glistened in the heat, but they held their shape. I used the recipe and procedure that I cited earlier.

I'm very lucky, I have cool hands and if something gets slick, I set it aside until I can handle it again.

HTH
Rae
LL

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #9 of 13

Your roses are beautiful. I guess if things worked out right the first time, we would never learn from our mistakes. I'll definitely try again!

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:59am
post #10 of 13

Hope you have better luck next time!

For figures, it's a good idea to use some supports for limbs, etc.--I use uncooked spaghetti--and s tiny bit of water to hold pieces together.

Rae

Jopalis Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #11 of 13

thank you so much....I will try squeezing it out better next time. thumbs_up.gif

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #12 of 13

I am also sitting here with a load of clay I cant use, because it is too soft. Its amazing because 20 years ago, out in Durban South Africa, I made it all the time, and never had a problem. Now in England, vast difference in temperature, I am having problems. Maybe its the chocolate, out there we had a very good cooking chocolate that we could use for anything. icon_cry.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:44am
post #13 of 13

I read a good tip about placing cornstarch on your fingertips--just a little bit--if your hands start getting warm when working with modeling chocolate. It works great. It acts as a barrier b/w your hands and the chocolate. I also had to learn the hard way to use less corn syrup with white chocolate, although many recipes state that you can use the same amount of corn syrup as you do with milk or semi-sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%