Poker Theme Cake Help

Decorating By eatcake09 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm by eatcake09

eatcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatcake09 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,
I am new on here, but I am attempting to make a poker themed cake for my father's birthday. I want it to be 2 tiered. The bottom tier is going to be a hexagon shape. I can't find a pan, so I was going to cut it out of a 14" circle pan. Then the top tier is going to be 8" circle. The bottom is going to resemble a poker table. The top I wanted to look like a roulette wheel, but not sure if I can pull it off. My biggest concerns are getting the shape of the hexagon. I am also wanting the topper to be a royal flush hand of cards. I am not sure what the best way to make them would be. If I should use modeling chocolate or RI? I want them to stand up without supports. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 3

Find a picture of a hexagon on your computer size it to the size you need and print out. I'd use double stick tape and attach it to a poster board then cut out shape, now you have your template (and it's sturdier than paper and you can reuse it, if you could get the template laminated at Staples or Office maxx that would be even better). Place on top of cake and carve.

For the cards you could use edible images. Roll out fon/gum brush on a thin even layer of piping gel place images on top, place viva paper towel over it and smooth with a fondant smoother. Let set about 10-15 mins. then cut out cards with a sharp exacto knife.

eatcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatcake09 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the advice. Here is what I ended up serving http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1746100.html

My boyfriend cut the hexagon shape out of a cake board becuase I couldn't print big enough. Then I covered in foil so I can use it again.

I used gumpaste for the cards and hand painted those and all the (chocolate and fondant) poker chips and cards around the sides. The wood grain is fondant scoured with a toothpick. Then painted. My airbrush gun wouldn't work so I ended up painting all the green on because I already had it on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%