What Happens If I Substitute Normal Milk For Buttermilk?

Baking By Melnick Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm by laidbackluvvie

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:56am
post #1 of 13

I have a recipe that required 320ml of Buttermilk but I only have 280ml. Can I use normal milk to make up the other 40ml? The shops are closed which is why I'm asking. The cake is just for a family member.

12 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 13

If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute.........1 cu whole milk pus 1 3/4 tsp cream of tartar, or 1 cup plain yogurt, or 1 Tb lemon juice or vinegar plus enough whole milk to make a cup-let stand 5 mins before using.

mivea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mivea Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 13

It depends on your recipe... But most likely it will be fine when it's such a small amount. Or you could use orange juice, again depending on the recipe. I have a very versatile recipe that calls for either buttermilk or orange juice.
The reason for using buttermilk (or orange juice) is that the baking soda needs an acid to work properly and to avoid an off-taste in the cake.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 13

You can sub this for buttermilk...take 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon white vinegar put in measuring cup, then add milk and fill to 1 cup mark...mix, let sit for 5 minutes or so and when the milk and acid react with each other it will look slightly curdled...But I think a small amout of milk would be ok.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you all so much for your help. It is much appreciated!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 13

Just a little FYI for next time. I keep a container of buttermilk powder in the cupboard for times I forget to pick it up or don't have it when I need it for a quick batch of pancakes--It's in the grocery store by the regular powdered milk or I have found it in the baking section as well. Hope they have it in Australia!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 13

Oh Kansaslaura I am definitely going to look for that the next time I go to the store! I use buttermilk in my chocolate cake recipe and they only have the big one so I end up throwing most of it away, thank you!

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Oh Kansaslaura I am definitely going to look for that the next time I go to the store! I use buttermilk in my chocolate cake recipe and they only have the big one so I end up throwing most of it away, thank you!

Buttermilk can be frozen, too. I measure amount needed for cake, pour into zip sandwich bag, and freeze. Viola!

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 13

I read in another post that you could freeze buttermilk and heavy whipping cream--I was not aware you could do that. So I froze my leftover buttermilk and cream and used both recently for a cake--it worked perfectly. I do not hesitate to buy large containers now that I know I can freeze the leftovers! I just hate throwing out anything--it is such a waste of money! It is so convenient to have them in the freezer! icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 13

YAY! I can freeze! I love you guys, haha! So does this mean I can freeze liquid coffee creamer? Please say yes! icon_razz.gif

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 13

I've done it and it was fine!

JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 13

Yay again, thank you!

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 13

thanks for the thread i have tried 3 supermarkets today for buttermilk to try a recipe out , i dont think it must be used much in england, but now thanks to all you brill ccs i can substitute and i will start a hunt for poedered bm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%