Duffs Fondant

Decorating By attackofthecakes Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 12:13am by BlakesCakes

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #31 of 38

There are a lot of uses where it would be AMAZING to have a fondant that doesn't dry up. They even talked about this on Ace of Cakes - they were able to screen print on it, let the ink dry, then apply it to the finished product.

It's all about using the right product for the right job. It would be nice, however, for them to make a note about this particular function on the labeling since a newbie isn't going to know what's what.

babzilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babzilla Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #32 of 38

I used Duff's white for some decorations in a pinch, because I was out of Satin Ice and hate the taste of Wilton's. It was soooo soft. At first I added my usual amount of tylose, which seemed to do nothing. Then I doubled, tripled and just ended up dumping a bunch in and the stuff would still not harden.
Like the others say, it might be good to cover cakes, but it stinks for decorations that need to stand up or keep they're shape.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #33 of 38

Hi all!
Just have to come back and give a little bump to Duffs fondant...for 2 reasons actually.
I had stated earlier that I was really disappointed in the product for making decorations. No change there, I do not want to add tons of tylose to "maybe" have something dry BUT I am here to tell you, I had a cake to do that had a 3D bridal dress, I was going to use silk paste which I ordered but I was running short on time and I had never worked with it before and that made me nervous. So I went against my usual product which is Satin Ice and decided to try Duffs for this project since I knew that it did not dry or crack in the same manner. Well I am here to tell you that this is a winner. The fondant was just lovely for the dress and I wish I had even rolled it thinner because I believe it would have turned out even better. Now I said that there was 2 reasons; here is the other. Satin Ice comes in White and Ivory. I needed Ivory, to my alarm Duff had no Ivory just white!! I took it home opened it to use and it is not white at all it IS ivory. This is great because now I did not have to color it to match the roses I had already made and then I thought for future this is great because alot of people complain about coloring SI because it has white coloring in it. So when you add color you can never get really deep colors.
The cake turned out great (Thanks Duff! Sorry for the earlier bash). So beyond just covering cakes with Duff please note it works well for fabric situations as well. Would love to try again and roll thinner as I do believe it would be super lovely stuff.
Suzi
PS - The bride-to-be actually had me remove the top dress portion of the cake so that she could take it home and share it with her soon to be husband. It lifted off like a charm and even the long train part in the back stayed put and beautiful. I just laid it upon a large cake board for her to take home. I was amazed! Not a crack or break at all. (This was my soon to be cousins shower)

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm
post #34 of 38

My personal experience with Duff's fondant as been the same as working with Chocopan--less than enthusiastic. icon_confused.gifthumbsdown.gif

Suzisweet- I'm glad you had a good experience with a fabric effect, but mine was the complete opposite!! icon_mad.gif the Duff fondant was TOOO soft and just stretched and tore into shreds as I tried to drape it! And running a textured pin over it was a nightmare!! I mixed in some Pettinice I had left and was able to salvage the draping.

I will only buy Duff's to mix 50/50 with regular fondant to cover a cake - and ONLY if I'm in a pinch. Sorry Duff.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #35 of 38

I have mixed both Chocopan and Duff's with regular fondant, in one case Pettinice and the other time Wilton's. In my opinion, it makes the PERFECT fondant when done that way. Something about mixing the chocolate based fondants with regular gives a nice smooth texture, no cracks or elephant skin, less stretching, rolls out thin and makes nice sharp edges. It tastes great too! Plus, by mixing it with regular fondant, it cuts the cost down. I discovered it by accident, because I bought Duff's pink and when I opened it, I realized the color was too bright for the particular project I was working on. I mixed it half and half with some Wilton I had around for dummy cakes to tone down the color. It was awesome! I can see how it wouldn't work too well for decorations that have to stand up or airbrushing. You could probably use cocoa based colors with it though? I can also see how tylose wouldn't work for hardening, as Duff's fondant is chocolate or candy melt based.

MINDYG14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MINDYG14 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:53pm
post #36 of 38

Don't buy it! I tried to make some simple 5 petal flowers with it. I am on month two for trying to get them to harden! I do not dare to try a bow. Does anyone know if there is something that could be added to get this stuff to dry?

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:57pm
post #37 of 38

been using it for a year now w/ those coupons. Over the summer or whenever it gets over 75 in my house I want to throw the fondant against the wall. It's way too soft and stretchy. In some ways it has the workability of modeling choc. It's funny you brought this up b/c I just used it for the LAST time..I'm done! thumbsdown.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINDYG14

Don't buy it! I tried to make some simple 5 petal flowers with it. I am on month two for trying to get them to harden! I do not dare to try a bow. Does anyone know if there is something that could be added to get this stuff to dry?

No, nothing added to it will make it harden completely.

It's NOT a fondant for flowers, plaques, heavy figures, delicate flowers. It's a fondant that is extremely friendly for covering cakes. Period.

It's a candy melt based fondant, so it is more like modeling chocolate in many ways. It's got about 35% more fat in it than regular fondant, so that's why adding gums to it does no real good.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%