Covering A Cake In Fondant Question...

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 12:08pm by Occther

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

I mostly work with buttercream and have only done a handful of fondant covered cakes. I can make my buttercream appear to be fondant (really smooth) but someone wanted a fondant cake so I will do it.

Now, here's my questions...They cake is due Sunday. I will bake the cakes Tuesday night and freeze them. When should I take them out of the freezer? When should I crumb coat? When should I cover in fondant? I will be doing the majority of the decorating on Saturday. TIA.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 6

Out of the freezer on Friday, fill, weight for settling.
Saturday, crumbcoat, ice, decorate.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #3 of 6

What Leah said. thumbs_up.gif

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 6

Can I fill and crumb coat on the same day? I never leave my cakes out and need to put it in the fridge Friday night...

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

I have to have cataract surgery on Friday morning in August Can I take them out of the freezer Wed afternoon fill, let settle till Wed night, crumb coat. Thursday frost w/light coat of buttercream and cover w/ fondant for a Sat wedding? Could refrigerate on Wed nite if needed. Buttercream filling.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 6

If I am doing a large fondant cake for Saturday, I take the cake out of the freezer Thursday evening and frost the cake while frozen (I know everyone has a different opinion about this, but it works for me. Everyone comments about how most my cakes are.) Then, I touch up the buttercream on Friday if necesary and cover with fondant Friday evening. Then on Saturday, I finish the decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%