How Do I Make Fondant Chess Pieces?

Decorating By gscout73 Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 2:01am by gscout73

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I am not a Twilight fan. I admit it. But that does not mean I won't make a cake for a Twilight fan and I know plenty. In fact, I had to make one this am. The cake was beautiful. I did 2 tier, bottom was chessboard and top was white with black decorations on the sides and entire cake had bold red border, writing on top was black fondant tappit-lettering. I for the life of me could not make chess pieces. R-tarded. I spent so much time that I ended up putting just an apple on the top.

I was so ashamed I didn't even take a pic. I must say it was flaalmost flawless. I say almost because I could not make the chess pieces. I saw candy molds online but they do not have the look I am wanting. Can anyone give me a tutorial or some pics that show the tricks to getting the clean, even lines and curves right? I will be eternally grateful.

Sandy C.

6 replies
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

I have a Twilight cake I was asked to do earlier this year and my chess pieces are by no means perfect, but I was pleased with them. (Pics in my photos.)

For the pieces, I just built them up using a dowel down the middle and layering the fondant pieces on top of eachother. It's really just a mix of different sized circular discs and a few "logs" shaped for the appropriate width and a ball shape on top. For the top of the "king" - it's a strip of fondant and I used just the top of the mini Wilton tulip cutter to get the "crown" pointy effect and carefully wrapped it around the top ball and smoothed it out.

Regardless if yours had chess pieces - I'm sure it was beautiful and you should be proud of your work!

gscout73 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

Thanks. I didn't think of a flower cutter. I tried little scissors to cut points for the crown, but I think my fondant was too soft. I ran out and bought the Duff black. Ick. It was just way to soft. I ran a wood skewer up the center and no matter what I tried it just was, well, like I said, aweful and I gave up. I may have to put some gumtex in it to stiffen before I try again.

Sandy C

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #4 of 7

Look at her chess pieces. You can pm her and ask where she bought her molds. She said she cut the molds then clamped them together and poured the chocolate into it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1721213

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 7

I just did the chess pieces for a twilight cake this week. I have the books so I had a good photo reference. Mine are by no means perfect but I thought they fit the bill. I used toothpicks and worked my way up. I rolled out a ball of fondant, flattened it for the bottom, stuck it onto the toothpick and down to the bottom. Then I rolled out a long egg shape almost, a little skinnier maybe and then flattened the bottom. Then I molded it with a toothpick and by hand until it looked right. For the pawn, I just placed a ball on top of that. For the queen, I rolled another ball, flatted it and placed it on top of the middle part, then another eggish shape on top of that. For the crown points I rolled out a flat piece of fondant, cut a straight bottom and small points on the top, then wrapped it around the top egg shape and glued with a bit of water. Then a tiny ball for the top and it was done. Hope that helps. I would hate to buy a mold for two pieces on one cake.

Sandy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy28 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 7

The chess pieces look great...if you have to time to order you could check out www.confectioneryhouse.com/3-d-chess-pieces-candy-mold

gscout73 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #7 of 7

I did see those choc molds, I looked at those first.

Hilly, yours are great. I saw your cake when I was getting ideas for mine. That is the look I was looking for, nice sharp, even. Thanx for the instructions. I've gotta be able to figure this out. I am better at piping than sculpting, which is why I waited so long to even get into fondant.

Thank you everyone. I love this site. I know this fad will be here for a little while so I'm going to have to suck it up...

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%