Metallic Finishes

Decorating By lynn22 Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:55am by JenniferMI

lynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn22 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me how to get nice shiny gold & silver finishes on fondant? I've been using Super Gold & Nu Silver luster dusts, and I'd just like a more realistic, brighter finish. Thanks!!

7 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 8

Everyone usually use Nu-silver. Are you painting or dusting it on; painting it on is best for the effect you want? If you are all ready doing that, maybe spraying with super pearl dust after the silver/gold dries or brushing on a sparkle type dust like disco dust. Practice on some leftover fondant and see what you come up with. Please, if you can, take pictures and post your progress. HTH

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't tried this, but I read somewhere on CC that to paint with paintbrushes using the airbrush paints.

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 8

I just started using AmariColor Gold Sheen, it's for airbrusher but I just paint it on. It works well, I'm sure it would work way better with an airbrusher. I painted swirls on a fathers day cake I did using the gold and they looked great. I didn't post a pic though becasue I was so unhappy with my fondant job, first time making dark chocolate fondant was a disaster. I also used it on a cheese cake I made from my sister's b/f which I did upload, you can't see the sheen well on the paintball helmet I made but you can see it on the "Happy Birthday"...don't mind my horrible writting, I'm working on it lol!

I did try using gold luster dust mixed with vodka but that was very labor intensive!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8

I just use luster dust mixed with a small bit of vodka (any clear alcohol will do) to make a paint and just paint it on. You'll know when you have the right consistancy. I do have some gold paint but it's just ok...you know? Not as good as the mix.

Cat

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #6 of 8

luster dust and vodka, and if I need a deeper color I add a tiny,tiny bit of the color(yellow for gold, black for silver,etc...)
icon_smile.gif Jodi

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #7 of 8

I love to use the luster dust and confectioners glaze. It dries better than vodka for me.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #8 of 8

I LOVE the hi-liter dusts, they produce brilliant metal finishes. If you look in my gallery, the suitcase cake has the gold on the buckles.

If I can help more, just yell.

Sweet regards,

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%