Indydeb's Buttercream Disaster

Baking By mindy1204 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 3:01am by mamawrobin

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:03am
post #31 of 68

I took some of your advice mamawrobin and mixed just the crisco for about 15 mins before adding the Dreamwhip, vanilla, and half and half. Then I slowly added the powdered sugar, and after it was all in there I left the kitchen and let the mixer go for about another 20 mins.

I did exact measurements of the ingredients. Maybe it's my cheapo Hamilton Beach mixer?

Everyone at the party thought the cake tasted great, but to me it tasted just like a Walmart cake. It just didn't have that extra wow factor I was thinking of.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanessaJo

I took some of your advice mamawrobin and mixed just the crisco for about 15 mins before adding the Dreamwhip, vanilla, and half and half. Then I slowly added the powdered sugar, and after it was all in there I left the kitchen and let the mixer go for about another 20 mins.

I did exact measurements of the ingredients. Maybe it's my cheapo Hamilton Beach mixer?

Everyone at the party thought the cake tasted great, but to me it tasted just like a Walmart cake. It just didn't have that extra wow factor I was thinking of.

And we're our own worst critics as well. If everyone else thought it "tasted great" it probably did. Did you Sift your powdered sugar? and did you warm the half and half before adding?? I doubt it is your "cheapo Hamilton Beach mixer" I have a Sunbeam...but at least it DOES do the work for me. I can't imagine having to make this stuff with a hand mixer icon_razz.gif Thought of one more thing WHAT KIND OF POWDERED SUGAR did you use??? I use ONLY Domino or C H powdered sugar. Some of the cheaper "off" brands have more cornstarch added than the "better" brands and also beet sugar instead of cane sugar. This WILL make a huge difference in the outcome of your icing. AND you did use Crisco and not another brand of shortening? I've made this recipe with other shortenings and Crisco does give the very best results...IMO...

JanessaJo Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #33 of 68

yep used crisco, yep sifted powdered sugar. did not heat the half n half, forgot about that. first batch i used walmart brand powdered sugar, second batch used domino to see if it tasted any different, and it did not.

just got a call from a former coworker to do a mario and luigi cake for her twins bday party this weekend so I'll get another chance to try this recipe out!

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #34 of 68

I used The brand Dream Whip..

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #35 of 68

I was not getting alerts so I am sorry I did not respond back.

I made 2 batches the first indyDebs exactly as written.

Then after DH went out and bought more stuff I made the wilton all shortening recipe.

IndyDebs did not work for me and the Wiltons did.

Sorry for the confusion and my lack of response back to you all Thanks for the input and no more fridge for my buttercream!

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #36 of 68

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif That's my initial response to "Wilton's worked for me...Indydebi's didn't" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I've never had her icing to be "grainy" and I certainly prefer the taste over Wiltons but that is why there are many different recipes out there..Whatever works for you icon_biggrin.gif

JanessaJo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #37 of 68

ok so i made this recipe again and had the same results, very grainy, tons of air bubbles. was not creamy or dreamy at all. still taste good though

i wonder what im doing wrong?!?!?

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanessaJo

ok so i made this recipe again and had the same results, very grainy, tons of air bubbles. was not creamy or dreamy at all. still taste good though

i wonder what im doing wrong?!?!?

I can't imagine. I've made literally 100's of batches of this icing and not once has it been 'grainy'. I don't get the air bubbles either.

WHAT brand are you using for each ingredient?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #39 of 68

No help here, I'm afraid. I tried it for the 2nd time for my nieces cake - did the mixing 15-20 minutes prior to adding rest of of ingredients and left it mixing 25 minutes after. It was grainy at first - though after leaving it alone for several hours, it improved and had no grainy texture left. It did have lots of little air bubbles, though, and was nowhere near as creamy or smooth as my regular buttercream. Also, on the leftover pieces of cake and cupcakes, after a few days, it seemed like it started to separate - like a liquid grease was coming out of it.

I really want this to work because I'd love to have a non-melting buttercream and it smelled heavenly. It was a little too sweet for me, but I'm funny like that. Our family loved the taste. So if I could just get it air bubble free and a little more creamy, I'd be completely sold.

JanessaJo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #40 of 68

I'm using Crisco, Dream Whip, Land O Lakes half and half, and have used Great Value, Domino, and Dixie powdered sugar thinking it was the powdered sugar but got the same results every time.

I also got the separation of the frosting and the oily stuff cs_confections!

and this frosting was cracking very bad on this last cake I made, crusted a little too much

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #41 of 68

I'm stumped icon_lol.gif All I can say is what works for some just doesn't work for others. I've never had a problem with mine being grainy, separating or bubbles. I'm in the majority of the lucky ones I suppose. I certainly am glad that it works so well for me because with the humidity and heat here where I live I'd be up a creek without it..LOL

JanessaJo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #42 of 68

yeah the humidity here in nc is horrible so maybe I should keep trying and hopefully it works out for me one day

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #43 of 68

I think the graininess comes from the Dream if it isn't dissolved. Try beating it w/you milk product. The air bubbles can be minimized by making a big enough batch to cover your beater so the air doesnt whip into it as much (per sugar shacks recipe). Not sure, but these hints may help Good Luck!

JanessaJo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:36pm
post #44 of 68

thanks for the tips! i think i need a better mixer before i make a double batch cause i tried that this last time and my mixer was getting really hot and smelling like it was burning and i had to keep turning it off and letting it cool down

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #45 of 68

Well I have to say I had disappointing results as well. Made up a batch and liked the flavor. Read the comments about it being able to sit out and withstand the weather. So left it on the counter in a sealed container out of the sun (did not need it for a few days). It never got above 80 as I have AC (but kitchen does get warm when baking but would only be around 80 for at most an hour or two) but checked it next day and saw some "liquid" sitting on the top, not sure what separated out, but was greasy when I touched it. It was not much but was there. That was two days ago.

Moved it to the basement where it was cooler and when I checked it today more liquid was sitting on the top. I am not sure what happened, as I believe Indydebi's directions say there is no wrong way to mix it, this seems to imply how the ingredients are mixed should not impact the outcome of icing. If it is separating even at 80 degrees I do not see how it is supposed to handle 90+ with high humidity. This is not to say these claims are wrong, but that it seems that something it not coming out right in the mix. (Used Crisco, half and half, Dominos, Dream Whip, and clear vanilla). Clearly something went wrong, it is just the recipe makes it seem like this should come together easily. Will give it another try and hope for better results.

auntiecake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #46 of 68

I use hi ratio shortening instead of Crisco. I have never had a problem with it separating, but I did when i used Crisco. Hi ratio (Sweetex, Alpine, etc) makes your frosing creamier, less grainy, doesn't lose it's body after sitting a few days, less greasy etc. If you are using Crisco add Dream Whip, meringue powder and see if this helps. Just make sure to mix well so they dissolve.

auntiecake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm
post #47 of 68

Janesso Jo you are welcome. I hope they help! Let me know how they work for you!

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

If it is separating even at 80 degrees I do not see how it is supposed to handle 90+ with high humidity. This is not to say these claims are wrong, but that it seems that something it not coming out right in the mix. (Used Crisco, half and half, Dominos, Dream Whip, and clear vanilla). Clearly something went wrong, it is just the recipe makes it seem like this should come together easily. Will give it another try and hope for better results.

Unless you had your covered bowl of icing where it got direct heat and caused the shortening to melt I cannot imagine why this would have happened. Like maybe too close to your oven while you were baking.

It has not only passed the 90+ degrees with humidity for me but temperatures of over 100+ with humidity without melting or even sweating. I make 10 or more double batches of this icing every week and I have never had it to separate like you described icon_confused.gif Strange how something can work so well for so many and then others have such issues with it icon_surprised.gif If you do try again I do hope you have great results, as I and the many others that swear by this recipe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #49 of 68

Not sure you can compare a bowl of soft icing with icing on a cake that has been exposed to the air and has had the opportunity to crust.

I sometimes get the separation.....not often but once in a blue moon. Just grab a spoon and stir/beat it. No biggie. this icing is also better when allowed to sit a day or so. I rarely make icing the same day I'm going to use it.

auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:04am
post #50 of 68

When I use Crisco I have this separating issue. I have students that have had the same problem with the separation. Does this happen when it has set at room temp for a day or two or more? It's just like Indydebi said you just rebeat it. It does rebeat better is you add the meringue powder, Dream Whip, or both. Wilton's recipe does the same thing if you use Crisco.

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:56am
post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

When I use Crisco I have this separating issue. I have students that have had the same problem with the separation. Does this happen when it has set at room temp for a day or two or more? It's just like Indydebi said you just rebeat it. It does rebeat better is you add the meringue powder, Dream Whip, or both. Wilton's recipe does the same thing if you use Crisco.

NO meringue powder needed for this recipe icon_eek.gif Like I said..I make 10 or more double batches of this icing EVERY week and I have NEVER had "separating issues" EVER. I also use Crisco. I have a bowl of this icing on my counter that I made last Saturday night and it looks just the same as it did when I made it...so NO..this DOESN'T "happen when it has set at room temperature for a day or two or more" ABSOLUTELY NOT. It does NOT "rebeat better" by adding meringue powder. Yes maybe by adding Dream Whip when you initially make the icing but for absolutely no reason should you need to add more for "rebeating". AND for NO reason should you EVER use meringue powder.,, I hate meringue powder icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif it leaves an artificial aftertaste that ruins a perfectly good icing...LOL....anyway..I would love to know why people have the issues with separation in this icing because in over a year of using this icing and making so much of it each week I have NEVER once had this problem. I would love to know why this happens. icon_confused.gif

auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:16am
post #52 of 68

You don't use enough meringue powder to leave an aftertaste. No seperation you are lucky I guess. Keep on doing what you do. That is great! I am guessing the mixer may make a difference and how long it is beaten also. I have been decorating for over 40 years and sometimes icing separates when is sits. Sorry I didn't mean to upset you. I was just going by my experience. Wilton, Indydebi's, both can do it under the right conditions. I have had students have the same problem! ????????????

auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:21am
post #53 of 68

Indydebi posted that she gets the separation .....not often but once in a blue moon. Sorry not sure how to post her quote the other way.

Indydebi do you think it is better because the ingredients (especially the Dream Whip) have a chance to dissolve more and blend together. Do you rebeat it after a day or two?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:51am
post #54 of 68

I don't make near as much as mamawrobin each week, but I make at least 6 batches, and I haven't had the grainy thing or the separation thing. I can also tell you that it absolutely holds up to the heat. It was 102 in the shade (before the heat index) yesterday and it did great! Only had the cake out for about 40 minutes from start to finish, but it held up perfectly!!! I beat my crisco for 15mins as mamawrobin suggests, then add the vanilla and dream whip and beat some more. That works for me. How about warming the milk product you use, and dissolving the dream whip in that.?

videominx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
videominx Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #55 of 68

I have had the separation issue twice while the icing was on the cake. This happened in August after the cake was finished, decorated, and just sitting on my table waiting for delivery. A thin layer of a greasy substance formed around the base of the bottom tier. I tried the icing again this past March thinking the high Texas heat caused the problem, and again I had the same problem at the base of the cake. Haven't tried Indydebi's icing with hi-ratio yet, was trying to save a little money by using Crisco. I love the taste, just wish I could get reliable results.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #56 of 68
Quote:

Indydebi posted that she gets the separation .....not often but once in a blue moon. Sorry not sure how to post her quote the other way.

Indydebi do you think it is better because the ingredients (especially the Dream Whip) have a chance to dissolve more and blend together. Do you rebeat it after a day or two?

"Bluemoon" is about 4 or 5 times in over 25 years. But never once it's been on a cake.

No idea on the blending. I've been in a hurry, thrown everything in at once, beat it for about 5 minutes, and it turns out as well as any other "normal" batch I make. One of the great things about this recipe is that it's really hard to screw it up. It's super easy to work with.

Anytime I pull pre-made icing out to use, I always take a big spoon and whip it a few strokes, just to do a simple blending. It makes it a bit smoother .... it (ironically) whips the air OUT of it! thumbs_up.gif

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #57 of 68

I've just started using this recipe 2 weeks ago because of the heat(nc). The icing does great on the cake but a little grainy. but the previous recipe I was using was also a little grainy. Tried domino, aldi brand, dixie, and sams club 10x ps but the same result. I too just have a sunbeam mixer. I beat it for at least 15 min. Just cant get the grain out. But I think if it does have a couple days to sit out before eaton its not really grainy anymore. Had some leftover cupcakes that i put indydebis bc on and ate one a few days later and it was great. Better than the day I made it. BUT, I have noticed the leftover frosting i keep in plastic container on the countertop does get a little greasy, BUT I also use the butter flavored crisco which will sometimes have a tiny bit of it on top in the original container as well. I thought it was from the "butter flavor" in it. Mix it up and its good as new.

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #58 of 68
Quote:

You don't use enough meringue powder to leave an aftertaste. No seperation you are lucky I guess. Keep on doing what you do. That is great! I am guessing the mixer may make a difference and how long it is beaten also. I have been decorating for over 40 years and sometimes icing separates when is sits. Sorry I didn't mean to upset you. I was just going by my experience. Wilton, Indydebi's, both can do it under the right conditions. I have had students have the same problem! ????????????

No icon_lol.gif You didn't upset me...LOL....it just drives me crazy when something like this happens and no one can explain why... icon_razz.gif chances are that this WILL happen to me at some point since I make so much of this icing and I would love to know why it happens so that when/if it ever does happen to me.......I always like to know "why" things happen icon_lol.gif since you all have had this problem I'd just bet that I have it happen sooner or later.....Maybe it has something to do with Crisco...being a 'bad batch' or something....LOL.....I just want to know WHY. icon_lol.gif

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #59 of 68

I just made some icing, not Indydebi's, that was grainy. I hate wasting things so I put it in a bowl and put it in the hot, hot garage over night. Still a little grainy but better. I then tried putting it in the Vita Mix. That did not work...too thick... so out of the Vita Mix and into the Cusinart food processor. I now have smooth icing. I haven't tried it on the cake yet but it is smooth! After that experiment I proceeded to make a double batch of Indydebi's icing. Smooth!!

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #60 of 68

I had a problem with it being grainy too, but I took the great advice I got here and made 3 PERFECT batches yesterday!
Dreamwhip is what makes it gainy, so after you've beaten the crisco for several minutes(it should be the consistancy of sour cream), add the dream whip, beat that for a minute or two, and then add warm milk. I guess it helps disolve the dream whip. Then you can add your vanilla and ps. It is so freakin' good icon_biggrin.gif

ETA: I don't think mamarobin or debi warm their milk, so the key may be just adding the dream whip at the right time, which, I guess is before you add any ps(the first time I added it last) I warmed the milk because I wasn't taking any chances and it came out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%