Refridgeration Requirements????

Decorating By barleysbakery Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm by costumeczar

barleysbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barleysbakery Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 14

Sorry for such a basic question, I am starting out. I wanted to know if you can refridgerate cakes covered with fondant and decorated with fondant and/or gumpaste decorations? My concern about needing them to be cold is because of the buttercream frosting and filling. Do you need to refridgerate cakes covered in fondant with a buttercream layer of frosting underneath and in the filling (assuming the buttercream is made with real butter and not crisco). Some general guidelines on buttercream and different frostings and refridgeration would be great! THANK You!

13 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 14

Buttercream typically does not require refrigeration, even when made with butter. (Lots of folks on here will likely jump in with the scientific reasons, I'm not 100% sure myself! MANY experts on here that are so helpful!) but the basic reasoning I believe is that the sugar to fat ratio is so high that the sugar preserves the butter. (Some people don't refrigerate their butter at all, like leave it out on the counter all the time...so why not buttercream? icon_smile.gif
As for the fondant, I'll leave that to the fondant experts! icon_smile.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 14

you can refrigerate fondant but it is not necessary to do so. It can sweat once you take it out and cause it to be gummy.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 14

If it's just an american buttercream, you are fine with it out of the fridge. If you venture into fillings or icings that are perishable, you most definitely can refrigerate fondant cakes, and many of us do it all the time. All of my cakes have perishable icing and filling, so all of them go in the fridge.

barleysbakery Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

If it's just an american buttercream, you are fine with it out of the fridge. If you venture into fillings or icings that are perishable, you most definitely can refrigerate fondant cakes, and many of us do it all the time. All of my cakes have perishable icing and filling, so all of them go in the fridge.

Ok, Question #1 What's an "american buttercream" and what's the difference between "american" buttercream verus another buttercream? And what fillings or icings do you consider perishable that you need to refridgerate? Sorry again I know this is basic stuff but you gotta start somewhere! Thank you icon_smile.gif

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #6 of 14

American buttercream is butter/shortening based with powdered sugar. Other buttercreams include Meringue icings, like Swiss, Italian and French which are egg white and sugar based with butter. They need to be refrigerated.

Other fillings that need refrigeration include freshly made fruit fillings, curds of all kinds (like lemon curd), pastry creams, etc.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:53am
post #7 of 14

I personally refrigerate all my cakes because it's what I'm used to doing. The only time I had a problem is when I refrigerated a cake back in San Francisco.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 14

I never refrigerate my cakes. I don't use perishable fillings and I always use Indydebi's buttercream. It is very hot and humid where I live several months of the year and humidity and refrigerated cakes aren't a good mix.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:05am
post #9 of 14

I always refridgerate as well - because I only use perishable fillings and frostings. We have a totally different cake culture here in Scandinavia - it's not about the cake, it's the FILLING that's important icon_smile.gif My ratio to cake and filling is 50/50. Try building tiered cakes with 50% mousse inside................I so wish I could do cakes with just a spread of buttercream or jam inbetween but no one would eat it.
But to answer your questions - ganache and american buttercream can be left in room temp as far as I've learnt here on CC.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 14

I always refrigerate because I use perishable fillings, but also because the health department doesn't like it when you leave cakes sitting out.

barleysbakery Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 14

Ok so it seems like most people refrigerate. So how many of you that refrigerate use fondant? And any tips when refrigerating a fondant covered cake?

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 14

When you take a fondant-covered cake out it will get wet-looking and sticky if there's a big difference in the humidity outside (it doesn't happen as much in the winter.) Just don't touch it, let it sit for a while and it will dry out when the cake comes to room temp and the temp/humidity levels equal out.

barleysbakery Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

When you take a fondant-covered cake out it will get wet-looking and sticky if there's a big difference in the humidity outside (it doesn't happen as much in the winter.) Just don't touch it, let it sit for a while and it will dry out when the cake comes to room temp and the temp/humidity levels equal out.

Thank you costumeczar!

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleysbakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Thank you costumeczar!

You're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%