Cover Or Not To Cover????

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 2:36am by Rylan

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 15

Do you guys cover your dividing cake boards? If so what do you use?

I usually use press n seal, but notice that on the tutorials I watch they don't cover theirs. I don't like to use straight cardboard against the cake, it seems to give that not-so-lovely cardboard taste and dry out the cake some. i am thinking about switching to foam board, but am worried it isn't food grade and would want to cover it too.

Cover or not to cover????

14 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 15

I always cover mine in foil. I think in the tutorials they are probably using grease proof boards, though, not just the plain cardboard ones.

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 15

What about in layered cakes? Do you cover the separating cake boards?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, that's what I was talking about. The boards in between the 2 tiers. Isn't that what you asked?

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 15

I always cover mine because the cardboard tends to suck the moisture right out of the cake! I wish I could find more readily available grease-proof boards in my area!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 15

Cake circles are specifically meant for a cake to rest directly upon. No need to cover them. If you are cutting circles (or squares) out of some other cardboard you are buying, that's a different story. But pre-cut cardboard circles sold as "cake circles" do not need to be covered. They are food safe.

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

I always cover mine because the cardboard tends to suck the moisture right out of the cake! I wish I could find more readily available grease-proof boards in my area!

What do you cover yours with?

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Yes, that's what I was talking about. The boards in between the 2 tiers. Isn't that what you asked?

Yes, thanks. I thought you were talking about the bottom cake board.

You don't have a problem with the foil tearing when the cake is cut?

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

I just use foil, but sometimes it's a pain. I know the "cake circles" that Wilton makes are food safe, but they don't have a coating on them to prevent the cardboard from sucking out the moisture, so I still cover them.

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

I just use foil, but sometimes it's a pain. I know the "cake circles" that Wilton makes are food safe, but they don't have a coating on them to prevent the cardboard from sucking out the moisture, so I still cover them.

ok. thanks.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 15

Instead of covering them what about a circle of wax paper between the cake and the board...just adhere the wax paper to the circle with BC and then the cake to the wax paper with another dot of BC. A lot cleaner look. Personally, never need to cover them. Sometimes there will be grease spots from the BC but nothing more than that. They never get "soggy" and my cakes are always very moist and the client never sees the board before the cake is cut and doesn't care about it after the cake is cut. Foil is expensive when you cover each and every cake circle with it. But wax paper is cheap if it makes you feel better to have something between the cake and the board. Now the bottom cake drum is always covered or decorative.

Cat

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 15

I agree with Cat - I put wax paper in between the board and the cake. I never thought about moisture loss though - I was doing it to avoid the cardboard looking greasy. You learn something new everyday!

judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 15

I was thinking lately about ironing freezer paper on the cake boards. I tried a scrap piece and it stuck very securely to the cardboard. I'm not sure how "greaseproof" it would be but I think it would be at least as good as wax paper.

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyj2

I was thinking lately about ironing freezer paper on the cake boards. I tried a scrap piece and it stuck very securely to the cardboard. I'm not sure how "greaseproof" it would be but I think it would be at least as good as wax paper.

I like that idea. I will have to give it a try.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #15 of 15

I just use pastic wrap for mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%