Has Anyone Tried Duff's New Products At Michael's?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm by moonbabel

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 11

What does everyone think?

10 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 11

Too expensive - even with the 50% coupon. I might use it in a pinch.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 11

I tried the red fondant a couple of weeks ago. It smelled really good, just like buttercream. It is a lot like Fondarific if you have ever worked with that. Its kinda expensive, nothing I would be buying for a complete wedding cake, but for little details or last minute cakes I would definetly pick it over the Wilton brand!

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 11

No way, no how. Even with a coupon it is far too expensive. Here in Canada at Michaels's a box of Cake Mix is $13.99. Just for the mix. For $13.99 I would expect Duff to come to my house and bake it for me.

PS. He can bring all the other ingredients that go in the mix while he is at it.

Sue B

wendy6599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy6599 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 11

I used the chocolate brown fondant for my Guiness beer cake....it tastes good...but, hard to work with. It was very soft and kept tearing. I've heard it works well if mixed with other fondants.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 11

I bought the black fondant. With the coupon it costs me $10 for 2 lbs. I thought that was a fair price - when I order it online it's about $8.00 plus shipping which costs a lot more. I also picked up a package of wires that were already shaped with curled ends for $2.50 (again with 50% coupon). I heard this fondant is Fondarific so I'm excited to try it. I've been unhappy with the Satin Ice lately. I like Wilton, but they only have very small packets of colored fondant.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 11

i really want to know if his "graffiti" spray coloring is any good, but i'm too cheap to buy it!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 11

I guess it's nice just to have some options...I wonder if his packaged buttercream is any good...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 11

i would mix modeling chocolate with wilton , before i would buy it. Too expensive.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 11

I would love to know about the graffiti spray too!

moonbabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonbabel Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 11

i have been using the duff fondant for a few cakes now and really like working with it so i guess it comes down to personal preference. i love the taste, it is better than any other i have tried, and find it goes on nice and thin so a little goes a long way. i find it more pliable as it doesn't dry hard like others.

i know it is expensive at michaels, but with the 40-50% off coupon it is actually one of the better deals around for me! that said i wouldn't ever pay for the cake mix even with the discount.

i keep waiting for the wires, but michaels hasn't seemed to stock them yet...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%